Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Member Sophomore indyana's Avatar

Did some rearranging today to try to improve the plant community. I really wanted to try wandering jew again (Tradescantia zebrina), and the heart leaf Philodendron (Philodendron scandens) just wasn't doing well in its current location. The Hoya in my wall planter needed to be pruned because the new growth was all white, which is supposedly bad for the plant in the long term. There were more Hoya sprigs growing at ground level that could be moved to fill in the wall planter.

The Philodendron was moved to the floor with one bunch of wandering jew. The Hoya from that spot was added to the wall planter with some more substrate. For the upper wall planter, I'm going to try a bromeliad (Neoregelia pauciflora).

Added some more substrate and leaf litter. We'll see if things do a bit better now. That one Sansevieria leaf with a fungal spot was trimmed after I took the photos. Need to be more careful about letting it dry out, but I've been heavy watering on that side for a bit trying (and failing) to help the Philodendron. Hopefully we can dial back the watering a bit once these transplants are settled in...

Rachel Gratis ~ Leopard gecko hobbyist, animal aficionado

Little technological improvement -- an automatic misting system!

This is a MistKing Starter system v4.0. I realized after I got it that I needed a screen wedge that was not included in the set... so I made my own!

MistKing install into the Exo Terra 18" x 18" x 24" vivarium.

Bought a 6-qt pet food container to use as the water reservoir. Used the bulkhead nut to mark the center of where I wanted the bulkhead, drilled a 7/64" pilot hole, then used a step drill bit to make the 9/16" hole needed for the bulkhead. Inserted bulkhead with o-ring through front, then tightened nut onto back inside container.

As recommended in MistKing guide, plugged in the tubing and filled with water to test. First time leaked, so had to tighten up nut inside. Second test worked like a charm.

Now for the screen wedge that I didn't have. All I really needed was a sturdy piece of something to sit on the screen top of the Exo Terra, so used a little tupperware food container. Used mist assembly nut and tried to center it between one corner and the middle of the container bottom. Again drilled 7/64" pilot hole and followed up with step bit to make 5/8" hole needed for mist assembly. Cut down the container using kitchen shears. In order to get the plastic to fit the Exo Terra top correctly, I needed a corner on it, so I found a ruler with a corner and centered the hole where I envisioned it being in the corner of the screen top. Used marks along the straight edges to cut a decently straight triangle of plastic.

Now, we have a homemade wedge. Positioned in the corner of the screen top where I wanted the misting assembly, then used some little wire cutters to start a hole. Pushed the assembly up through the bottom, then removed and used the clippers to trim the hole nicely. Inserted misting assembly for final time and tightened up nut on top of wedge.

I wanted to fasten down the tubing because if it swings around and hits things, it makes a heck of a vibration racket. The kit came with tube clips and screws, so I figured out where I wanted to fasten down the tubing, drilled a 9/64" hole into the lid edge, then screwed in the tubing clip there. Had a handy shelved lamp next to the cage, so I used that to hold the reservoir and pump, twist-tying the tubing down so it won't shake when the pump starts.

Voila, MistKing!

Will post a short video of the mist running once I get it uploaded to YouTube...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information