Thread: Too much heat?

Default Too much heat?

Our baby leopard gecko died today. We'd had her for about a month. It was eating and walking around normally yesterday. Today, it was still and its mouth was full of coconut substrate.

Its belly looked kind of full, fat.

Yesterday, it pooped on my daughter! She liked to handle it--a lot, unfortunately. It had dropped its tail maybe two weeks ago, probably when she was handling it.

Another thing is, we live in Arizona, and the room we kept the gecko in gets quite hot. It may possibly get 100 or more.

Any ideas on what could have happened?

Senior Member Sophomore indyana's Avatar

I don't really know what your setup or feeding is like, but young geckos can be pretty fragile, so the combination of having a recent tail drop, a lot of handling, high heat, etc. could have just put too much stress on its system. Babies really need to be, well, babied.

I'll post a link to one of my favorite care sheets that sort of outlines the simplest possible enclosure and ideal conditions:
    https://www.onlinegeckos.com/leopard...caresheet.html

If the room is that hot regularly, I'm not certain how much luck you'll have without providing the gecko a way to cool down. Having plenty of hydration and a humid hide available can help, but leopard geckos like to hide from the heat and don't really thrive in it.
    Rachel Gratis ~ Leopard gecko hobbyist, animal aficionado

Quote Originally Posted by indyana View Post
    I don't really know what your setup or feeding is like, but young geckos can be pretty fragile, so the combination of having a recent tail drop, a lot of handling, high heat, etc. could have just put too much stress on its system. Babies really need to be, well, babied.

I'll post a link to one of my favorite care sheets that sort of outlines the simplest possible enclosure and ideal conditions:
    https://www.onlinegeckos.com/leopard...caresheet.html
    Thanks.

Thread Information