Member Freshman

Default Calcium/Vitamins

Hey Guys,

This is more a question of opinion/experiences, but last year I bought some geckos at a show, when I bred them this past season, I didn't get any good eggs from them. So I asked the person I bought them from how the animals were set up, and he told me that he relied "exclusively on dusting the feeders with Calcium/Vitamin powder". Generally I keep extra Calcium/Vitamin Power (Osteoform/Vionate) in a small dish (usually a bottle cap) for the geckos to lick up on their own. However these specific animals don't seem to be touching it, I usually change it out fairly regularly to keep it fresh, but after about a week and a half, these geckos are not eating it. The animals I raise usually empty the cap in about a week. Is that normal? Which do you guys prefer dusting or letting them eat it on their own? If you do the latter, how long does it take for them to eat it? Just want to make sure these animals are healthy before/if I breed them again.

Thanks

Geck-cessories
    Professor

I generally don't keep calcium and supplement in the enclosure in case they overdose on it. I dust feeders every other feeding. I only keep calcium in the cages of the hatchlings because a few of them were showing signs of early MBD until I start putting the calcium in.

Aliza

Member Freshman

Quote Originally Posted by acpart View Post
    I generally don't keep calcium and supplement in the enclosure in case they overdose on it. I dust feeders every other feeding. I only keep calcium in the cages of the hatchlings because a few of them were showing signs of early MBD until I start putting the calcium in.

Aliza
    Thank you for your reply Aliza. I have tried strictly dusting with some of my animals but that resulted in some bad seasons. If I may ask, which supplements do you use. I have been doing the method used by Matt Boronak (probably misspelled) of Sasobek reptiles.. With a slight alteration... In his video where he shows what he uses, he actually says he mixes sand in with his mixture... I hated that idea.. So I followed the 1 part Osteoform to 4 parts vionate..although I wasn't getting a good result with dusting so I started leaving the supplements in the tank, hoping for a better season this year.

Thanks,

Keith

Geck-cessories
    Professor

I have used Repashy Calcium Plus since 2009 or so. I'm no longer breeding because unfortunately, my geckos are now all crypto positive. As I understand it, geckos that are over supplemented with calcium can have symptoms similar to those that are under supplemented. If it's working better for you to keep it in the enclosure then keep that up. I do think there is room for doing things in different ways. Where in MA are you located?

Aliza

Member Freshman

Quote Originally Posted by acpart View Post
    I have used Repashy Calcium Plus since 2009 or so. I'm no longer breeding because unfortunately, my geckos are now all crypto positive. As I understand it, geckos that are over supplemented with calcium can have symptoms similar to those that are under supplemented. If it's working better for you to keep it in the enclosure then keep that up. I do think there is room for doing things in different ways. Where in MA are you located?

Aliza
    Hi Aliza,

Thank you for the information.. I am just trying to make sure these particular animals are healthy before I try to breed them again, I didn't get 1 good egg from them last season.. They are still not eating the calcium/mineral powder like my other animals. I will probably go back to dusting for these animals. I am located in Uxbridge.

Thanks,

Keith

Geck-cessories
    Professor

Dusting can work and also you can periodically dip your finger in water, dip it in the calcium and rub the paste on their mouths because they will probably lick it off.

Aliza

Thread Information