Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fighting?!?!

Default fighting?!?!

So I've had my two females in the same tank for some time now. An APTOR and a Blizzard. The Blizzard has a smaller frame but weighs a little more and it a little bit older. The APTOR has cut her head in the past due to bad rock placment on my part. Now I've seen them sleeping together, laying awake with each other and seen one on top of the other both ways. So I awoke this mornng and threw in some mealies in there (only one) dish. As I was watching Sherbert (APTOR) eat as she usually does, she all of a sudden jumped around, sweaked and ran. Now I didnt see it but I thought it was Smokey (Blizzard) This seems totally opposite to what I would think. Sherberts more active and aggressive and more of a tweak as far as contact. They both are gaining weight steadily again. They do seem happy together most of the time. But maybe having one food dish could be a cause for friction? Though Ive seen BOTH of them eat out of the same bowl before. Sherberts about to shed as well so IDK what that would cause as far as any aggressition or submistionary signs. Could it be Smokey is trying to claim that food bowl as her own?! Or did she just touch her tail and Sherbert flipped?
    :afro: Can you dig it?!
    1.2 Leo's M: This Fool Money Mac F:Sherbet Say What F:Smokey So Smooth 1.0 Crested M: Da Lyger Tigmation

I think Sherbert probably had her tail touched and spazzed out because of it. I have had quite a few colonies of ~5 Adult Female Leopard Geckos. One Animal is always the dominant one, she eats first and the others stay back until she is done. But.. I have never had any aggression in the cage. If you see bite marks on Sherbert or Smokey.. then.. maybe something is going on. Otherwise I wouldn't worry.

I take it your back to work today? You are up early.

I house groups of females together (some), and I have seen occasional aggression and fighting. That's when the girls get tubs to themselves. Mostly, the females get along, though one will be dominate.

If she's getting bitten, I would move her.
    Debbie Prince
    The Gecko Prince
    GeckoForums.net Moderation Staff

I agree with what's already been said..you only need to take action if you see bite marks

Does anyone have a pic of what a bite mark looks like? She did get a scrape on her before and I've seen why... She doesn't get her own size if that makes sense. For example, when theres a little gap shes forced herself through it before and when she walks around she seem oblivious to smokey sometimes. Where as Smokey and my Male try to fit and if it doesnt work right away they stop trying.
    Last edited by Ipsl; 01-09-2008 at 01:11 PM.
    1.2 Leo's M: This Fool Money Mac F:Sherbet Say What F:Smokey So Smooth 1.0 Crested M: Da Lyger Tigmation

Can you post pictures of what you think might be a bite mark? That would give you different peoples' perspectives on it.
    Debbie Prince
    The Gecko Prince

OK I will have to do it later tonight as this morning she was about to shed. But I'll post them.

Sounds good.
    Debbie Prince
    The Gecko Prince

Well I helped her finish shedding and took some pics. Im not resizing them cause I want you guys to get as accurate a perspective as I can provide.

Now whats interesting is the tail wound (now completely healed) was the newest mark. I also have noticed that in both low and bright light Sherbert's can be oblivious at times. So what I believe is happening is there forming a pack or some kind of hierarchy and since Sherbert's so.... indiscriminate as to who or whats around her at times and Smokey's older I think Smokey just putting a little discipline in the child. I also belive that this is the worse case scenario because as I lifted the slate Sherbert went for cover and, as usual , started to walk over Smokey. When she got a little on top Smokey Moved fast and brought her head to Sherberts and licked her. Once that happened Sherbert went lower and showed a little more awareness. Smokey wasen't waving her tail in any sort of desernable pattern (like a rattle or snake maneuver)

Is there anything she could be scratching herself on? If not, I'd say those were bites - the tail especially looks gecko jaw shaped. Often, if geckos are showing aggression towards each other, it's on the tail, neck and head that I find the marks the most often. Usually it's the male that does it to the female, though not always. You're sure Smokey's a girl?
    Debbie Prince
    The Gecko Prince

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information