181. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dubia Roaches

138 76.24%
  • Crickets

43 23.76%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    www.ellaslead.com Sophomore Chewbecca's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fOOlsgOld View Post
    I just don't like crickets because they are stinky, noisy, stinky, filthy and nasty lol. The whole bug thing doesn't bother me.
    It bothers me!
    I'm sure I'll get used to it, though.

Definitely not Junior Freshman hoppslover's Avatar

I will tell you that I got in to breeding the mealworms as soon as I got into Leopards. It’s been easy and a great food source for my leos. Easier than easy. I started my roach colony last august. It is growing and if I could stop feeding off of the colony it would probably be a lot bigger. I recently bought a bearded dragon. I read a lot about them and some places said yes to mealworms and some said no, but when I bought this girl the breeder said no feeding of mealworms. So I got another sterilite tub and bought 1000 crixs. WHAT a mistake. I had a hard time keeping them alive. They smelt really bad and I will never have them again. So I washed out my tub and put some of my Dubias in there to start another colony. I couldn’t get the smell of those crixs out. LOL So in my opinion its mealies and Dubias that are the best for me.
    4.8.0 Leopard Geckos 2.2.0 Corn Snake 1.0 Boxer 0.1 Bashar

Senior Member Sophomore LizMarie's Avatar

Nick did you ever decide on those roaches? Uggh I noticed this post just popped up at the top after I dunno how long, lol
    Owned By
    Luna, Phoebe , Lana , Aurora and Marley
    0.1 Dog :: 0.1 Cat :: 0.1 Leopard Gecko :: 1.1 African Fat Tail Geckos

Should Slow Down Junior im faster's Avatar

Well..
    dubias are pretty good..
    but they are not slow.. and they hide to well..

i feed crickets and supers mostly i have to many to feed out of my colony.. but its growing nicely...

Senior Member Freshman Desdemona's Avatar

Mealies and superworms in smaller Dragons (mealies in all sizes) are known for causing impaction. They don't seem to digest as well as the Leos.

For the Dubais toilet/paper towel rolls and egg cartons are a serious help. They will cling to them like they are the key to their existence. I use them to transport when I do a cage cleaning and also put the egg crates in the baby cage so when I need to feed them I just put a dish under and tap them into the dish. Much easier than chasing them.
    Sent from my DROID PRO using Tapatalk
    Desdemona
    TUG Snow Enigma Boy Copernicus and TUG Snow Girl Lady Ada along with small boy child.
    Is a hippopotamus a hippopotamus, or just a really cool Opotamus? Mitch Hedberg

Senior Member Sophomore Dimidiata's Avatar

Its threads like these that make me continplate a illegal roach coloney....seriously. I actually decided today that im DONE with crickets as a whole. They honestly just suck. Stinky, diease ridden and die in a snap. I woudl much rather feed mealies,supers and such. I am very much so contimplating a native roach coloney setup but i have NO idea where to start and how to sterilize the roaches so that their safe for gecko consumption.
    Please, please tell me what they looked like,
    Did they seem afraid of you?
    They were kids that I once knew..

Name: samuel jackson.

I voted crickets...for no other reason than Roaches are gross. Seriously. I dont even like touching the crickets.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffDenver View Post
    I voted crickets...for no other reason than Roaches are gross. Seriously. I dont even like touching the crickets.

actually I find the Roaches to be less grouse than the cricket, probably because the roaches don't jump.

I voted Roaches... I will never buy another cricket. My roach colony would be busting out the seems and easily support a gang of Leos if it weren't for the beardies I own.

I put my Dubias in bowls but the larger ones alway get out. But they can't escape the cage so I just put them back in later.

Member Freshman

I say Dubia are by far the best feeders out right now. They dont smell as bad as crickets or worm bins, they dont chirp all hours of the day/night much easier to keep contained. Takes less dubia to feed then crickets and the geckos love them. Way easier to breed almost no effort. Very little maintenance. The only thing i hate and i think someone else mentioned is that the dubia go right into hiding the min they hit the tank. most of my geckos are on news paper which is pretty well put down so the dubia cant get under it. In some of my other tanks that have soil based substrate I pack the substrate down very tightly and the dubia dont seem to be able to burrow before being eaten. The mulch however the Dubia is gone within seconds. every other week or so i put a slice of apple in the tanks to lure out any dubia that might have been able to hide and sure enough they come out and get eaten that same evening.

you guys are lucky. illegal for me to own these guys. I only feed crickets one night out of the week...there disgusting.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information