View Poll Results: Which do you like better

Voters
181. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dubia Roaches

138 76.24%
  • Crickets

43 23.76%
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

@Indyana a good technique is to get a roll of electrical insulation tape or duct tape, tape it around the outside to block out light and it shouldnt really effect cleaning?

Senior Member Sophomore indyana's Avatar

Haha, thanks, but I ended up just making myself buy an opaque bin.

As an update, I am utterly in love with my dubia roaches. They haven't been breeding a ton yet, but they are very simple to keep. I had a small round of deaths when they first arrived (travel damage?), but since then, I've only found a couple dead nymphs. If you put the time/money in to make the correct setup, they indeed are simple to keep.

Roaches are the best! They don't smell, don't chirp, and are easier to catch lol. But I think I rather a cricket loose in the house, rather then a dubia roach. If you can contain dubia roaches, it will be a good choice. Learning how to breed dubia roaches is easy and it will save you a crap load of money. Crickets are a hassle to breed and are more expensive.

Dubias are still better then crickets, but I've had 200,000 dubias in the house and they do smell in quantity and the sound of millions of feet do make noise. I sold off almost the entire collection because it was far more than I ever needed. So keep your population under control, every female lays 20-35 eggs and in as little as 4 months there's 10-17 more females laying. It gets big quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2.7 leopard geckos, 0.1 American pit bull terrier, 0.0.6 pacman frogs, 1.2 felines, 1.11 egg layer ducks, 1.4 rabbits

If I buy 15 dubias, assuming about 50/50 male/female ratio, how long before I have to sell or get rid of excess dubias? Or have too many adults? I have only two leos..

Senior Member Sophomore indyana's Avatar

Depends upon how warm you keep them and how large the bin that you're housing them in. You want to have a ratio of 3-5 females for every 1 male adult. Extra adult males just cause problems and eat all the food. -_- Females can produce 20-30 babies every month.

For my small colony (feeding two lizards) I try to keep 1-2 adult males and 3-5 adult females in it. Extra adults I cull by picking them out into a big ziploc bag and putting them in the freezer. I then toss them outside for wild birds.

If you want to slow the breeding, you can keep temps 70-80 F. Temps 80-90 F will encourage growth and breeding.
    Rachel Gratis ~ Leopard gecko hobbyist, animal aficionado

Member Freshman

The only ever negative I have ever heard of with dubia roaches is that the high protein content can cause gout. Having said that I feed my leos 3 times and week and 2/3 of those nights its dubia. And I have never seen gout.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread Information