Voters
181. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dubia Roaches

138 76.24%
  • Crickets

43 23.76%
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Default Dubia Roaches vs. Crickets

Okay I have heard, that roaches, don't stink, don't climb, and they breed easier. I did get in 5,500 crickets today, though, and luckily all the geckos took to them (Im glad about that, I was hoping the transition from mealworms, to crickets would be this easy) But I think my next order will be roaches. However can these be kept in bowls, or do they run lose, in the cage, like crickets? I really have no idea; Ive never seen them in person. How big are they?

Thanks everybody.

Happy Gecko Family Junior gothra's Avatar

The adult dubias are around 4-5cm length. I feed the nymphs that are around 2 cm long to my adults. I don't like leaving the roaches run free in my tanks, so I tweezer feed them. Usually, 1-2 nymphs are enough to fill them up per feed. I also like to pick the freshly molted ones to feed to my geckos, they love these softer ones.

wings2fly

I would much rather have dubia roaches than crickets any day. I keep mine in the garage where it is warm... and they breed better.
    When it comes to feeding, I just put the nymphs in the tank and let them run around like you would crickets. I feed them to my juv and adult geckos... picking out the roaches that are just a bit smaller than the gecko's head. I usually feed 2 per gecko.

Carin

Dubia IMO are the best feeder insect. They can get large enough to feed just about anything, slow moving, dont climb, no smell and dont fly! What else can you ask for?

Boopster

Quote Originally Posted by clear View Post
    Dubia IMO are the best feeder insect. They can get large enough to feed just about anything, slow moving, dont climb, no smell and dont fly! What else can you ask for?
    Well from your list I miss two things. Small enough to feed hatchling crested geckos with and silent....

wait! The faboulus roach Blaptica dubia is those as well!
    Nevermore will a cricket enter my premises.

I'll warn you now this is Picture heavy. The males don't exactly like to cooperate so I don't have the best picture of one of them. I put a match box car in for a reference size, most people know about how big those are. Roaches are crazy easy to take care of and breed: Dark space(keep the lid on), warmth (I use a heating pad from the pharmacy), water (water crystals and fruits/veggies), food (roach chow, scraps, bread, anything that may get dropped on your kitchen floor and make its way to the trash lol). So here goes! ENjoy!!
    My roach motel

With the lid off.

The cartons taken out of the way.

MMMMMM Cockamroaches!!!

AAWWWW.... look at my babies!!!

www.ellaslead.com Sophomore Chewbecca's Avatar

oh good god!!!!
    How can you just hold those things in your hands???
    ACK!!!!

GAH!!!

Ours should be arriving sometime this week.
    My husband will be a busy man feeding those to 7 geckos and babies to a crested.

I won't touch them.

LoL if someone had told me this time last year that I would have a thousand-\+ roaches in my basement BY CHOICE I would have told them they were nuts! but tbh they aren't that bad, about the same as meal worms and WAY BETTER then crickets!!!! I hate crickets almost as much as I hate the devil cat I have.

Bugs in general don't bother me at all, neither do reptiles or any of the normal 'creepy crawlies' that freak people out. One thing you will NEVER find as a pet in my house though is rats!!! not mice but RATS *shiver* THOSE are disgusting!!!

www.ellaslead.com Sophomore Chewbecca's Avatar

oooh, god, I HATE crickets.

EWEWEWEWEW!

Nasty little boogers, I LOATHE them.

And I have to feed small ones to my baby crested right now.

I just don't like crickets because they are stinky, noisy, stinky, filthy and nasty lol. The whole bug thing doesn't bother me.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information