Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MackSnow-Leopardgeckos Freshman MackSnow's Avatar

Question More questions about Cryptos

Hi there,

well... yesterday was stupid with the Crypto-Guest-Chat. When we came the chat was unfortunately almost finished. In Germany the clocks will be changed end of march. The remind from Felicia we didn't read because we have been at the Hamm-Show at the weekend.

We still have some questions, that haven't been asked. Maybe somebody of you knows answers.

1st:
    How exactly can a gecko become infected? What about the story with getting infected trough air? Infection is possible with crickets or other food when the ate feces of sick animals. Is there also a danger of new bought crickets from the store or cricket-breeder? What about infection trough water from the sink (tap)? If healthy animals are in one terrarium / rack-box with sick ones, are they definetelly also infected?

2nd:
    How many days are needed, if I put sick and health geckos together to proove the (formerly) healthy geckos infected?

If you know for sure any answer for our questions, please let us know. But please don't write things you've heard somewhere or you think it might be the truth. It's very hard to find correct information about this, because there are so many different meanings appearing in the internet. If you know things from people like Dr. Harkewicz I think they are sure, so these are the informations we all need. I hope you all understand and don't fell treated because of my last sentences.

Thank you very much!
    Last edited by MackSnow; 03-12-2007 at 11:17 AM.
    Best regards,
    Sabrina & Thorsten
    www.MackSnow-Leopardgeckos.de

You feed 'em we breed 'em Sophomore Kotsay1414's Avatar

I don't mean to hijack your thread, but I have a question you could add to the list...

Can crypto be given from the mother to the hatchlings like AIDS can in humans?

Thanks,

Kyle
    Leopard Gecko WIKI
    A Searchable Database for Leopard Gecko Information

Mean Old Gecko Lady Professor Golden Gate Geckos's Avatar

I can answer your questions since Dr. Harkewicz is my vet and has answered them for me:

How exactly can a gecko become infected? Geckos become infected through oral/fecal contact.What about the story with getting infected trough air? Cryypto is not transmitted through the air.Infection is possible with crickets or other food when the ate feces of sick animal. Yes. If a cricket eats the feces or drinks the water of an infected gecko and then is eaten my a non-infected gecko, it could be transmitted.Is there also a danger of new bought crickets from the store or cricket-breeder? There would only be a problem if the crickets were exposed to an infected reptile.What about infection trough water from the sink (tap)? The type of crypto that can be found in tap water is not the type that can infect reptiles.If healthy animals are in one terrarium / rack-box with sick ones, are they definitely also infected? Again, if a non-infected animal is housed with an infected animal, it could become infected if it comes in contact with it's feces or water bowl.

Can crypto be given from the mother to the hatchlings like AIDS can in humans?
    I also think this is an interesting question. Can hatchlings become infected in the egg, or just when they lick on their egg when they hatched?

Marcia, thank you very much for your answer.

I still have another question. I asked Dr. Harkewicz in the chat for the number feeces of different geckos can be added into one fecal-test. So for example 5 animals tested in one fecal and do single tests when the first fecal is positive. I wasn't sure, if I asked this question understandable, because he was almost leaving and I had to hurry. Is it needed to test the animals several times, or is there a test so acurate, so one test would be enough?

Have you also an answer for this question:
    How many days are needed, if I put sick and health geckos together to proove the (formerly) healthy geckos infected?
    Best regards,
    Sabrina & Thorsten

Sabrina & Thorsten, I don't know the answer to those two questions, but I am making a list of more questions to ask Dr. Harkewicz. I don't want to send him a bunch of emails and ask too many questions, I wanted everything to be in one single correspondence. Here are a few of the questions:

- Can crypto be passed to embryos in gestating eggs?

- What is the incubation time for crypto before is becomes symptomatic?

- Is 90 days a sufficient quarantine period for newly acquired reptiles?

- When fecal testing multiple geckos, is submitting more than one fecal in a sample OK and then performing individual samples if the test is positivie? How many stools would be too many?
    Last edited by Golden Gate Geckos; 03-12-2007 at 04:03 PM.

That would be great, Marcia.

What is the incubation time for crypto before is becomes symptomatic?
    Well.. not definetely the days until it becomes symptomatic, more like: "How many days it needs to test a new infected (but still very healthy looking) positive?". For example: When I have a new animal testet positive after being 10 days in my house but it would need 20 days to be incubated in the gecko, the person I bought the gecko from can't tell me I had get it from somewhere else and not from him.

When fecal testing multiple geckos, is submitting more than one fecal in a sample OK and then performing individual samples if the test is positivie? How many stools would be too many?
    And how often have I do the test? Is one time enough or have I to repeat the test for example 10 days later?
    Best regards,
    Sabrina & Thorsten

TripleMoonsExotic

Quote Originally Posted by MackSnow
    And how often have I do the test? Is one time enough or have I to repeat the test for example 10 days later?
    A minimum of three times. The tests can show a false negative.

A minimum of three times. The tests can show a false negative.
    Actually, the standard IFA test (Immuno Fluorescent Antibody test) is specific for the crypto organism, and has very high accuracy. The older acid-fast stain test was only accurate if the crypto organism was shedding, which sometimes required multiple tests.

TripleMoonsExotic

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Gate Geckos
    Actually, the standard IFA test (Immuno Fluorescent Antibody test) is specific for the crypto organism, and has very high accuracy. The older acid-fast stain test was only accurate if the crypto organism was shedding, which sometimes required multiple tests.
    Maybe in your area an "IFA" is standard, but it isn't in mine. We do Acid-Fast tests, and you should test a minimum of three times.

In Germany we have the "Antigen-Elisa"-test. This test should correspond to your IFA-test.
    Best regards,
    Sabrina & Thorsten

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information