Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How to tame a leopard gecko

I just got my leopard gecko last week. Ive been doing the hand placement evryday. Usully he ignores me and walks a different direction. Today I clesaned his cage so I set him aside. she was kinda squirmy. What should my next steps be, and am I doing things correctly? thanks.

Just leave your hand where he can see it, outside of the hide when they're in it. Try not to move. If he moves in a different direction, then just move your hand in front again. Sometimes it helps to move your fingers a little, and slowly bring your hand closer, but make sure if he's okay with that or you might be bitten(doesn't happen often). If he goes into the hide, don't bother him. You have to show him that the hide is safe and that you won't bother them. If it works, then he'll slowly approach you, lick the ground around you and then you, and either crawl onto you or walk away.

You should make sure that she's acting normally, eating and everything, before you handle them.
    Last edited by Glass_; 10-01-2010 at 06:20 PM.

Well give them a few days to settle in before trying to handle and tame him.
    Just regular handling should get him used to you, there's no certain routine to taming.
    In My House: 15+ Leopard Gecko's, 1 African Fat Tail Gecko, 1 Blue Tongue Skink, 2 Mourning Gecko's, 4 Crested Geckos, 1 Bearded Dragon, 50+ Corn Snakes, 1 African Pygmy Hedgehog, 3 Fire Belly Toads.

Default Training a Friend

Quote Originally Posted by Reptileperson View Post
    I just got my leopard gecko last week. Ive been doing the hand placement evryday. Usully he ignores me and walks a different direction. Today I clesaned his cage so I set him aside. she was kinda squirmy. What should my next steps be, and am I doing things correctly? thanks.

Lost in the Lizard World Junior Dog Shrink's Avatar

Do cold hands make a difference on whether or not your leo will freely walk up onto you?
    "The Worst Sin to OUR Fellow Creatures is NOT to Hate Them... But to be Indifferent to Them...
    THAT'S the Essence of Inhumanity"
    ~George Bernard Shaw~

Member Freshman

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Shrink View Post
    Do cold hands make a difference on whether or not your leo will freely walk up onto you?
    Not sure if in the beginning it will matter but I know that once they are used to you it won't matter. With my Loe's now that they are used to me they climb right on my hand soon as it is in the enclosure warm or cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Jgreen909 View Post
    Not sure if in the beginning it will matter but I know that once they are used to you it won't matter. With my Loe's now that they are used to me they climb right on my hand soon as it is in the enclosure warm or cold.
    About how long would you say it took before your leos were THAT comfortable with you?
    "The Worst Sin to OUR Fellow Creatures is NOT to Hate Them... But to be Indifferent to Them...
    ~George Bernard Shaw~

Member Freshman

Honestly I'd say after 3 weeks of at least 15-30 mins of handling a day. One of them is still kinda shy but she is getting better. Don't get me wrong they don't come running to my hand looking to get handled lol but when I put my hand in front of them.

EDIT: I have noticed tho that different morphs act different to handling.
    Last edited by Jgreen909; 10-04-2010 at 05:00 PM. Reason: added lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Jgreen909 View Post
    EDIT: I have noticed tho that different morphs act different to handling.
    can you elaborate? have you noticed one particular morph preferring handling over another type?
    ~George Bernard Shaw~

Member Freshman

Ok, first let me say this is based on my personal experience and is in no way scientific or in any other way factual science. Having said that, I have noticed Hypo's being very skittish and more on the hyper side, most single strain animals seem to take to it fine I.E. Eclipse, Bells, Trempers etc. The more there is to the morph the more hyper then appear to act. Again this is based on personal experience with the animals I have or have had a fair amount of contact with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information