Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Sophomore Pinky81's Avatar

I have a question if I could...first off Ray I also would like to say thank you this thread was very reassuring as I am one of those Newbies and my first breeding attempt as well. My male and female it seems are in this situation right now. She seemed to slow on the feeding just before her ovulation and breeding and now is in full no eating mode. and now my male is in no eating mode as well. I can get both to take some wax worms but they is not at all interested in crickets (female has never eaten meal worms she refuses) Here is my question...what "treat" food is the most nutritious? Wax worms, butterworms, dubias? I also have tried the cricket next to the warm hide with no legs thing no beuno!

Also is there a good website or supplier of some of these other worms to ship them in? I don't know of anyone who sells butterworms or dubias..no local shops even my specialty herp store doesn't sell anything but wax, meal, crix.
    This really is a difficult waiting game thats why this sticky is so reassuring!

Thanks in advance
    Mel
    Phoenix Geckos
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Phoen...52742724776872

Loved by 2 Chihuahua's (Bindi and Frodo)
    & 3.4.0 Leopard Gecko's

My aptor i got about 3 weeks ago seem to like bigger moving things like large superworms and crickets but crickets are such a hassle to deal with and superworms are alright but id prefer all my leo's being in a stable diet of mealworms and occasionally every other week some crickets and superworms. So my question is if there is any kind of way to get him into mealies, i've already put the mealworms in a food dish with some carrots in there to keep the mealworms alive for about 24 hours and he didn't eat a single one he would prefer the superworms.

Never mind he ate mealies today so im gtg thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinky81 View Post
    I have a question if I could...first off Ray I also would like to say thank you this thread was very reassuring as I am one of those Newbies and my first breeding attempt as well. My male and female it seems are in this situation right now. She seemed to slow on the feeding just before her ovulation and breeding and now is in full no eating mode. and now my male is in no eating mode as well. I can get both to take some wax worms but they is not at all interested in crickets (female has never eaten meal worms she refuses) Here is my question...what "treat" food is the most nutritious? Wax worms, butterworms, dubias? I also have tried the cricket next to the warm hide with no legs thing no beuno!

Also is there a good website or supplier of some of these other worms to ship them in? I don't know of anyone who sells butterworms or dubias..no local shops even my specialty herp store doesn't sell anything but wax, meal, crix.
    This really is a difficult waiting game thats why this sticky is so reassuring!

Thanks in advance
    Sorry for the late reply Melissa.....just saw this.

I hope your geckos are eating better now. If delegged crickets in a dish do not work, waxies can be the best method to stimulate the feeding response. The problem is where to get good waxies....the stores all refrigerate them which kills them! I have called the suppliers to tell them NOT to state on their cups to refrigerate waxies, and they ignore me. Waxies should be kept at 60-70 degrees. 60 is best.

The best place to get good waxies is by ordering them online. We have had good success from Grubco, but online is the best way to get them, as the big chains will refrigerate them and 90% will be dead when you open the cup!

Few geckos seem to like butterworms. I would say about 10% of leos will eat dubias regularly. Mealies are best, with medium superworms a close second, though many leos will not eat supers. Mulberry Farms can supply medium supers...don't get the larges unless you are feeding really big leos.

We do not like to use crickets for many reasons, but some geckos will start eating if you deleg them and place them in a dish.

Good luck and let us know if you need further help on this.

Ray, and anyone else, what if they're hatchlings/babies? I have two small leos that are about 3grams. They appear to be getting thinner, even though I leave mealworms in the enclosure. Should I still try to entice them with waxmorms? I know waxworms can be hard to ween leos off of... but, I'm concerned about the weight of these little guys. Thanks.

- Wulf
    0.3 dogs, 2.0 cats, 0.1 hedgehog, 0.1.2 crested geckos, 4.4.2 leopard geckos, 1.1 cockatiels, 1.1 parakeets, 1.0 Sunday Conure, and 10 fish in a 55 gallon tank.

Quote Originally Posted by WulfSC View Post
    Ray, and anyone else, what if they're hatchlings/babies? I have two small leos that are about 3grams. They appear to be getting thinner, even though I leave mealworms in the enclosure. Should I still try to entice them with waxmorms? I know waxworms can be hard to ween leos off of... but, I'm concerned about the weight of these little guys. Thanks.

- Wulf
    Try pinhead crickets.....if you use mealworms make sure you use the micro/small size of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Designer Geckos View Post
    Try pinhead crickets.....if you use mealworms make sure you use the micro/small size of course.
    Thanks, Ray. Unfortunately, I loss one of the little guys. The other one is doing a bit better, I started him on pinheads... he appears to be very happy.

Both of them were rescues... one is missing a foot (from knee down). But, seems to be very happy at the moment. I appreciate the help...thanks.
    0.3 dogs, 2.0 cats, 0.1 hedgehog, 0.1.2 crested geckos, 4.4.2 leopard geckos, 1.1 cockatiels, 1.1 parakeets, 1.0 Sunday Conure, and 10 fish in a 55 gallon tank.

Senior Member Junior fl_orchidslave's Avatar

We really need to post in this thread more often to keep it active! I def agree with what Ray is saying about pinheads, I've used them on occasion with excellent results. Also had no luck at all with feeding butterworms, the gex just didn't seem to care for them at all. When I first started my superworm colony, I got baby supers from greatlakeshornworm.com along with the order of larges. When I sell a gecko, I always tell folks they have been feeding on supers, or if a baby then it's mealies and small supers mixed (the size of mealworms). They can then determine which feeders they prefer to use.

Wulf, sorry one of your little guys didn't make it You might try converting to little mealies while you still have some crix, just in case.
    `*..*
    . .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥

Thanks, Laney. I was planning on trying to feed him some small mealies tomorrow. I have a bunch of new born mealies that I think is the perfect size.

It sucks that the little albino I had didn't make it...but, at least he had a better life (and a few extra days) while I had him. The guy I got him from (off Craig's List) obviously had no clue what he was doing with the little guy. Not that I'm an expert, but I try to make them happy. And, I did have him in a seperate enclosure. So, if he was sick with something, at least the others won't catch it. I always put my new geckos, even from breeders, in quarantine for 3 months, sometimes more.

Senior Member Junior fl_orchidslave's Avatar

It sux that people breed gex and let things like this happen. IDK if its ignorance, arrogance, or greed. Maybe all three. Baby mealies are perfect for the tinies, I use gatorade caps (calci powder added) for feeding dishes at that point, so they can easily find and reach food. If your baby doesn't take to them, plan to get some pinhead crix the next day so he doesn't get weak and starve himself. Poor little thing has already had a rough life, I hope he acclimates soon and begins living large
    `*..*
    . .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information