Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Brandonfb75 View Post
    I will say that this is what forums are for. They are here for people to ask questions period.
    "Period" eh?

It's funny but I don't actually recall checking a box that says "I understand that by registering for this website I am obligated to let other members treat me like a Google search bar, answering everything asked by everyone, no matter how little effort they put into finding the answer for themselves before asking." when I signed up. Maybe they added it after I created my username.

The F.A.Q. page also says something very different, in fact it doesn't actually explicitly mention answering questions,

This site is meant to be a positive community for all herp lovers to share information, images and buy/sell/trade their animals.
    It uses the phrase "share information" which sounds a lot more voluntary and open ended than "They are here for people to ask questions, period." I enjoy lazily browsing through looking for topics which catch my interest, making comments, having discussions with people about common interests and even sometimes answering a question. In my own time, of my own volition, when and where I see fit. If anyone tries to put me into a forced labor camp at the Leopard Gecko Question Mines, I'm going to hit the overseer in the head with a shovel and make an escape.

I really hate being told by anyone except a site owner or the moderators what a site "is for." Especially when it looks like it's "for" a lot of things. For people to ask questions. For people to have discussions with their peers about their common interest. For people to share their photos and stories. For people to communicate about unrelated topics with people they happen to like. For people to advertise their products in the classifieds. For people to buy banner ad space where it will target an interested audience. For Kelli to promote her business and her animals. It's "for" whatever the users want to get out of it within the constraints of the conduct rules. Members do not get to issue directives, to mandate how anyone else uses the site; the only direction we have is en masse, through our posting trends and habits, not as individuals issuing ultimatums. You don't get to tell me how and when and what I must post. Only the moderation team has that kind of power and only in a restrictive sense. They make decisions about what cannot be posted. If they want something created, all they can do is encourage it, not demand it.

Period.

A new person might not have all the information they need and that's why they come here or any forum for that matter.
    A common motivation maybe, but not the only one.

Speaking for myself, since that's the only person I can speak for, I'm a lot more inclined to give my positive time and attention to someone who has given me the impression that they genuinely want to learn. They want information because they're aiming for self-sufficiency, they want to know everything they can, I want to know that they'll pay attention and really use what I have to say. They show me that they have an attitude that is worth helping because they make it clear that they have been trying to help themselves.

There's a world of difference between a person who asks a question, "I've been reading this book, that magazine article and these websites and could use some clarification about..." and a person who thinks that the other members here exist to mindlessly spit out answers to questions that they have made no effort to answer on their own. I have a lot of free time, it's still infinitely more satisfying for me to interact with people who'll value any of it that I choose to give to them. I am not a google server or that butler graphic from askjeeves. I won't be treated like an inanimate thing; I'll answer questions that catch my interest or for people who I think will appreciate it. My time, my choice.

With all the members here I'm sure someone different can answers and doesn't always need to be the same person if you are getting sick of answering them.
    And maybe they can read this sticky, find where it has been answered before with a minimum of effort and understand both herpetocultural basics and web etiquette in order to present themselves as a member of the community, rather than a parasite.
    -And on the pedestal these words appear: "My name is Ozymandias, king of kings. Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

lillith's leo lovables Sophomore lillith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M_surinamensis View Post
    If anyone tries to put me into a forced labor camp at the Leopard Gecko Question Mines, I'm going to hit the overseer in the head with a shovel and make an escape.

I, for one, truly appreciate your in-depth, informative, super-technical-herpetological-geekout posts. They seriously make my day sometimes. Especially with the one-liners like the one above. If there are mines, you're a gem. And I try not to take that for granted.
    ~2.0 Feral Offspring~15.19.13 Eublepharus macularius (updated count underway)~1.1 Hemitheconyx caudicinctus~1.1 F1 CB Coleonyx variegatus variegatus (Mesa locale)~lots of icky bugs~

Senior Member Sophomore sunshinegeckos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lillith View Post

I, for one, truly appreciate your in-depth, informative, super-technical-herpetological-geekout posts. They seriously make my day sometimes. Especially with the one-liners like the one above. If there are mines, you're a gem. And I try not to take that for granted.

can I just ditto this?
    Christina Helms
    Sunshine Geckos
    http://sunshinegeckos.doodlekit.com/home

The fact that you have to pick apart someone's small 1 paragraph post, even though that individual never said anything about anyone needing to answer, shows you just why some people hesitate to post in fear of getting picked apart and shall we say... bullied?

Seriously, the person you quoted never suggested you should be forced to answer any questions at all. The individual only suggested that a forum is here for herp lovers to post questions, share information, pictures, and sell/trade their animals. What was wrong with that?! Where exactly did that poster suggest you *have* to answer any questions at all? In fact he ended the post saying someone else can answer questions if you are personally tired of answering the same questions over and over.

I'm sorry if I don't share the same enthusiastic attitude as the posters above over that "witty" quote. That quote totally misrepresent anything Brandonfb75 posted.

THORGECKO Sophomore Thorgecko707's Avatar

They have a leopard gecko question mine? I thought the overseer only controlled the vault. Seamus, your wealth of impeccable knowledge could never cease to amaze me. Truly a wonderful brain.
    CHECK OUT THE WEBSITE!
    www.beebestudios.com

CHECK OUT THE YOUTUBE CHANNEL
    www.youtube.com/c/THORGECKO

I'd have to agree with Mardy.

Senior Member Sophomore sunshinegeckos's Avatar

everyone takes blunt honesty with a little sarcastic humor differently. I know when I first came on here I am sure I asked questions that every newbie asks and annoyed everyone. Heck maybe I still do but I am trying to do more research on my own and honestly I wish someone would have just told me this in the beginning.
    Christina Helms
    Sunshine Geckos
    http://sunshinegeckos.doodlekit.com/home

lillith's leo lovables Sophomore lillith's Avatar

I hear both sides here, I really do.

But let other posters get offended for themselves, okay?
    And stop taking everything so personally, EVERYONE. PLEASE.

We all have a hobby in common, after all...
    ~2.0 Feral Offspring~15.19.13 Eublepharus macularius (updated count underway)~1.1 Hemitheconyx caudicinctus~1.1 F1 CB Coleonyx variegatus variegatus (Mesa locale)~lots of icky bugs~

Thank you for making this, I'm frickin tired of people clogging up the forums with "OMG WHY WONT MY LEO LET ME HOLD IT?!?" or "WTF IS WRONG WITH MY GECKO? IT'S TURNING PALE WHITE!" when I'm trying to have a legitimate question answered or when I'm looking for advice.
    Newbie collector

Current Leos:
    -Waggles, Super Hypo Tang w/ Carrot Tail
    -Wheatey, Hypo Tang

Brandon Fowler Freshman Roaming Reptiles's Avatar

Boy has this forum changed! It's a good thing we have someone like you to police the forum! It's foolish to think that one post is going to stop people from asking questions. People ask questions and get answers in many different ways. A person may not understand one question, but will get the other. This is an informational forum and people will ask questions. If you don't want to answer them then don't. We should all be willing to help each other instead of creating posts complaining about questions that new people ask. How will new people learn if there aren't helpful people out there to provide the answers they need?!?!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information