Senior Member Sophomore Pinky81's Avatar

Talking My very first Ball Python!!!

So today I put money down on my first BP!!! I really love these snakes but don't do well with feeding cute fuzzy animals, so this was a BIG decision of mine to try this! Its a larger BP so it eats a small rat weekly...Im figuring if I can't do it my friend can come over and help me get over this issue. I won't be picking up my boy till Dec 3rd this way I can save on shipping.

I think I know about the basics...any insider tips for me???
    Mel
    Phoenix Geckos
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Phoen...52742724776872

Loved by 2 Chihuahua's (Bindi and Frodo)
    & 3.4.0 Leopard Gecko's

Senior Member Junior fl_orchidslave's Avatar

Congrats! What kind?
    `*..*
    . .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥

i have been around bp's a while now (i breed them too) it still breaks my heart for the rat
    Me and my JJ we can all play play, all night and all day day!

What cartoon is it from?

Uroplatus Fanatic Sophomore T-ReXx's Avatar

Welcome to your new addiction.

Just a warning, with Balls live is usually going to get the best feeding response. I have a couple that will eat FT, pretty much the two that will eat anything that moves, but the majority are going to hold out for something breathing. I personally find it a lot more convenient to feed live. With FT you have to thaw, then warm, then oftentimes stand around doing the "zombie rat dance." With live I toss it in and within 5 min I know whether or not the snake is going to eat. If it doesn't; back in the cage the rat goes, to await another week of Russian roulette.

If it helps salve your mind at all, without snakes and other rodent predators we'd be wading around up to our knees in rodents. Not a pretty thought.
    Uroplatus fimbriatus, Uroplatus henkeli, Gekko gecko, Rhacodactylus ciliatus, Rhacodactylus auriculatus, Rhacodactylus sarasinorum, Python regius

Senior Member Sophomore Pinky81's Avatar

‎100% het VPI Axanthic

The person Im getting him from says its up to me as this BP is a great feeder on f/t and live, which I have come to learn BPs are picky eaters so Im happy he is a good eater.

Ted you are telling me the exact thing that others say...it is actually less painful to feed live as you don't need to "zombie dance" the rat LOL. Im just worried about bites to the snake but I guess I am also learning that the vast majority of bites are because people leave live rats in the tank with the snake too long.

i will include a pic of Bubba!!
    Mel
    Phoenix Geckos
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Phoen...52742724776872

Loved by 2 Chihuahua's (Bindi and Frodo)
    & 3.4.0 Leopard Gecko's

You eventually get over the rat issue. After breeding s and rescuing reptiles for so many years I have grown immune to the rats. I breed my rats now and kill them before feeding. Eventually the pitty for the rat goes away. its the circle of life. Anywho congrats on the BP. Is it a normal?

I feed all the snaks F/T.
    If they'll eat it, its much healthier for your snake!
    Rats bite! Adult mice bite!
    A close friend of mine lost an adult ball to a rat. He has another ball he rescued COVERED in scars from rat bites.
    I've seen a snake have to be euthanized do to a mouse bite on its tounge.
    Frozen is the smarter option. It only takes 10 minutes to thaw a mouse, it would take you how long to drive to the store to pick up a feeder rat? You would also have to have some sort of enclosure for the animal if your snake decides it doesnt want to eat it.

Im an animal lover and i'm incredibly soft. I feel better about feeding frozen personally because my supplier C02s their mice peacefully.
    Being squeezed, rats usually scream - which leads to me screaming...
    Last edited by katie_; 02-22-2012 at 07:42 PM.

Senior Member Sophomore Dimidiata's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pinky81 View Post
    ‎100% het VPI Axanthic

it is actually less painful to feed live as you don't need to "zombie dance" the rat LOL. Im just worried about bites to the snake but I guess I am also learning that the vast majority of bites are because people leave live rats in the tank with the snake too long.
    Less painful for who though? You or the snake? Sure throw in a live, watch the snake eat it...or not, possibly watch it eat the snake. Or you can be a responcible pet owner and actually dedicate the time to feed it safe frozen mice/rats. Your call. Yes, some snakes will absolutley just refuse frozen, i wouldnt start feeding live the first or second time it does though. You think it makes a diffrence to the rat wether your watching bite your snake or not??? really?? "Oh im being watched, better just be a good rat and play dead when the snake grabs me" yeah..no. They can bite in the blink of an eye and unless your hand it a inch away from them and you have clarvoyent reflexes, your snake is SOL. Id reccomend trying Fresh kill before your try live. Fresh kill means its warm, and its fresh scented. If you have a leo, try rubbing the thawed rat on the inside of the leos hide(clean it afterwards of course). Ive used this with my Boa.
    Please, please tell me what they looked like,
    Did they seem afraid of you?
    They were kids that I once knew..

Name: samuel jackson.

Thread Information