BABY BEARDED DRAGON HELP

geckoguy0588

I HAVE 3 DRAGONS SOON TO BE 4 BUT THEY ARE HAVING A HARD TIME WITH CRICKETS THEY CAN SEEM TO CATCH THEM. SO I AM THINKING OF SWITCHING TO DUBIA ROACH I BOUGHT A COLONY OF 10,000 ROACHS AND GROWING IS THIS A GOOD THING TO DO

Chestersmom

Roaches are awesome! I started my clolony about a year ago and will never use crix again! As for the beardies, you can try putting them into a tote or something similar for meal time. The bathtub works good too if you cover the drain.

Kristi23

Ghoulish Geckos
I feed both of mine dubias with no issues. My little one catches them just fine. Another thing is to make sure their tank isn't too big for their size. My baby is in a 20 L for now to make sure he can find his food.

M_surinamensis

Shillelagh Law
Another thing is to make sure their tank isn't too big for their size. My baby is in a 20 L for now to make sure he can find his food.

That's not right.

I'm not sure if it is a case of observational bias (because there are some reasons to use various sizes for enclosures and sometimes smaller is better, but not for that reason) or just a case of misinformation that has entered the popular consciousness (like all those people who think mealworms will chew their way out of a lizard's stomach)... but either way, it is wrong.

Kristi23

Ghoulish Geckos
That's not right.

I'm not sure if it is a case of observational bias (because there are some reasons to use various sizes for enclosures and sometimes smaller is better, but not for that reason) or just a case of misinformation that has entered the popular consciousness (like all those people who think mealworms will chew their way out of a lizard's stomach)... but either way, it is wrong.

Maybe it just stresses them then, but it's what I was told by multiple breeders. I also started my now adult bearded dragon in a full size tank. The temps were right, but he wouldn't eat. Once I moved him to a smaller tank, he ate right away and lost his stress lines. All I know is that's what worked for me. My adult is now in a huge enclosure and does just fine.

RyuuKirin

Ryuu's never moved... she's in a 54 gallon corner aquarium... it was perfect for her as a baby.... and when we move, she'll get upgraded to the 75.... she did, however, develop a very lazy personality and quit chasing her crix... so she got mealworms last year.... I hate mealworms. I hate crix tho too... *sigh* but we're going to try them again once she decides to wake up!

Visit our friends