Bad experience w/ Idahoan

T

TheHiddenGecko

I purchased the double het bell patty that he had for sale in the classifieds. In the picture the gecko seemed to look pretty healthy, a little skinny but pretty good overall. I sent the money to one of his addresses and he emails me back saying that he cannot accept credit card payments through that address. So then he said I would have to pay a 4 dollar charge and then send the money to a different address. I know it's not that big of a deal but it's more of the concept. He sends me an email on Tuesday stating that the gecko was shipped and I should get him the next day. When I received the gecko the label says that the package was shipped out Monday afternoon. When I open up the package I find no heat pack, and the low temps were in the low 40's. I don't know how it survived for two days with temperatures that low. Now the worst part. Both of his eyes are swollen. One eye has some kind of hair sticking out of it and the other has shed stuck directly to the eye. It's hard to tell what you're looking at, but I guess I could describe the eyes looking like they are scabbed over. I was never informed about any eye problems at all. So now I'll have to be paying vet bills on top of the gecko.

BalloonzForU

I thought something looked funny about the one eye in the picture, looked swollen. It's the leos left eye in the picture he used for the ad. http://www.geckoforums.net/showpost.php?p=26199&postcount=3 The other eye looks like he's just trying to get away from light, but could have been swollen too. Not a good shot to see for sure.

Does the package say it was shipped Two Day or Next Day?

No excuse for lack of heat pack!

Steve have you talked to him about this? E-mail him and ask him to reply to this thread.

Last edited:
T

TheHiddenGecko

To me the gecko just looked like he was blinking or somthing. The package does say two day. I havn't really talked to him because I was a little unsure about what to say.

Mel&Keith

Mod Squad Member
Email him and tell him you're not happy. I had something similar happen with 2 geckos that came with MBD. I payed to ship them back and had the rest of my money refunded. Obviously there was a problem with the eyes before it got to you so I would hope that he would agree to take it back or work out some sort of refund. Hope it works out, keep us posted.

LeosForLess

Mel&Keith said:
Email him and tell him you're not happy. I had something similar happen with 2 geckos that came with MBD. I payed to ship them back and had the rest of my money refunded. Obviously there was a problem with the eyes before it got to you so I would hope that he would agree to take it back or work out some sort of refund. Hope it works out, keep us posted.
I know that this is off topic, but you paid to send back geckos? did they refund shipping? Because if i bought 2 messed up geckos, i would wante ever penny i spent, including shipping refunded.

Mel&Keith

Mod Squad Member
Well, we split the shipping because we kept the 3rd gecko who happened to check out healthy. Ironically, I'm fighting with DHL because they over charged me on the ones I sent back. Uh, the box only weighed 2 lbs. 2lbs evernight = $65? I don't think so.

T

TheHiddenGecko

I emailed him and here's his reply. Let me know what you think.

"I am sorry to hear he did not arrive in very good shape. This is the
first time I have gotten feedback of a problem from someone on an
animal I have shipped out. It is partially my fault on the heat pack.
Our weather has been quite nice here and you did not send specific
information for your end or request a heat pack. I guess I could have
asked??????

As far as the eyes go. He has been eating, drinking and staying in his
moist hide a lot so I did not do a REALLY close inspection prior to
shipping. Please let me know if he improves or not. I don't know what
is up with the hair. I certainly did not see that on him prior to
shipping. Maybe he picked it up from in the container?"

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
I can't vouch for the geckos, but I have been shipping without heat packs lately because it has been very warm here and I don't want to cook the geckos. Sometimes it's better to err on the side of too cool than too hot.

Also, if a gecko sheds during shipment it is difficult for it to get the skin off since there is really nothing to rub up against. Perhaps the eye irritation is from rubbing against the inside of the container?

Most shippers do not go by actual box weight anymore, they charge by dimensional weight. This means they charge for what the size of the box should weigh. If a box is 12 x 9 x 6, it has a dimensional weight of 4 lbs.

... just playing the 'devil's advocate' here.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

TheHiddenGecko

Here's a picture of him. Sorry it took so long. Camera difficulties. Could his eyes have gotten this bad from rubbing up against the container?
STA72399.jpg

This one was taken through the tub.
STA72398.jpg

T

TheHiddenGecko

Yeah I think you made a good decision. I was really leaning toward not getting him because he looked pretty skinny for his age, but then I kept thinking how much time that this gecko would save me breeding wise. I guessed I rushed myself a little too much and made the wrong decision.

G

GeckoMandi

I don't about that eye, it looks deformed or some kinda infection.

I'm sorry you had a bad exp.

T

TheHiddenGecko

Yeah thats why I was pretty sure he didn't get it from the container.

marula

yes, look a serial infection....
don't touch others geckos after him/her...and wash you hand with something specific for bacterials (i know....is probably a stupid advice...)

T

TheHiddenGecko

Thank you both. I do feed and handle him last with caution and wash my hands after I'm done with him.

T

TheHiddenGecko

Well after 2 vet visits and $75 he is now healthy and can see just fine. I had to give him an oral medication and put ointment on his eyes for a while and eventually the bad stuff came off. I went back for a follow up today and the vet said he is very healthy. He's eating by himself now and has gained 10 grams since my first visit. Thanks everyone for your concerns.

Visit our friends