Beardie diet question about storing greens

mainelygeckos

ok so the amount of greens u get in bundles at the store are huge! Our new beardie is so little..so my question is..can i freeze the greens so they do not go bad or what? We got Collard greens, dandelion greens and turnip greens but the bundles were very large and we do not want them to go bad if they may be in the fridge for too long. What should we do? Thanks for any input

Palor

Chaotic Nights Reptile
Freezing greens will turn them into inedible mush. Greens like Kale can be refrigerated for up to 2 weeks, i am not sure about the others. If your concerned about them going bad, you can always eat some :)

Kristi23

Ghoulish Geckos
We have the same problem with mustard and collard greens for Norman. I'd love if anyone had some tips, too. I thought about trying the green bags for them, but I'm not sure if it will help.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
If you have a really young beardie, consider going to the grocery store, or farmstand during the right season and asking if you can have some of the leaves that fall off the stuff they have for sale. Another choice, as mentioned above, is to start liking and eating the stuff the beardie eats. Trader Joe has a package of "southern greens" that's mostly collard and kale, already washed and cut up, but it will start rotting before a juvenile goes through it all. I also get some "spring mix" or "asian salad" which does have lettuce in it but enough other good stuff.

Aliza

mainelygeckos

OK thanks will look for the "spring mix" and "asian salad" :) ya I guess with what we have now we have to learn to like to eat them as well lol I think i might be able to do turnip greens and maybe collard but nope not doin dandelion lmao

Joes108

I just started using the green bags they keep the greens fresh about two times longer. I used to get about 5 days out of the greens I use now I get over 2 weeks out of the greens. Was well worth the 3 dollars I paid for the bags.

nrich

You can always break the bunches apart. The people at my grocery store hate me because I will come up to the counter with one or two leaves of mustard greens. It usually only costs about 10 cents.

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
You can always break the bunches apart. The people at my grocery store hate me because I will come up to the counter with one or two leaves of mustard greens. It usually only costs about 10 cents.

I'm sorry to bring this up again, but this really crack me up, LOL. I can imagine the cashier's face when you put like 2 leaves on the counter! :main_laugh:

I've heard wrapping the vegetables in newspaper before storing in fridge will keep them good for longer; I haven't tried it though.

tlbowling

Geck~OCD

LOL...This is exactly what I do :p, and what I was going to suggest;)

Visit our friends