best substrate?

haynesn12

what would be the best substrate for a aft? i just picked up my first one yesterday and as of right now he is on carpet but i wanna know if there is somthing better i should use. i tried searching but didnt find any conclusions. any help on a good setup or pics are appreciated

Chiefmcfuz

One that they cannot swallow and become impacted. I really like tile. It looks nice and is easy to clean. Carpet and paper towels are good too.

haynesn12

i thought of tile as my leos are on tile and i like the look and simplicity but wasnt sure if it was ok for aft's. i know some people have planted setups for them but i was not sure if it was safe

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I have not had any trouble with a planted tank for my AFT pair except that I am inadvertently breeding crickets in there as well. I use eco earth as the top layer. The plants that work best for me is the haworthia. I've also thrown some birdseed in there for a savannah grassy effect. I loved the african violet I put in there but so did the crickets.

Aliza

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I would guess it would be more of a problem with potential impaction (and probably not much fun for them to walk on).

Aliza

5HiddenLizards

Tight Budget Herping
My atf was on a 90/10 coconut fiber/sand mix. I found that adding in some sand helps hold its shape. She also enjoyed digging a burrow in it. No impaction problems.

{Sent from Samsung Epic via Tapatalk}

Visit our friends