Cage Size

jrr429

So I have a new, empty, tank ( 4 feet long my 1 foot wide and 2 feet high)...was wondering if a bearded dragon could be housed in it? or any suggestions on another lizard that would work?

monkeytechahoo

I think that would be just great for a beardie. Our guy is in a 75breeder and so I'd think it's just a tad smaller than what you have there. Course Boga doesn't really move around too much in there. *lol* He's more active when we take him out.

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
You could put a LOT of different types reptiles in a 4 foot long tank but being only 2 feet high that kind of rules out many arborial species. Blue tongued skink, collard lizard, beardie, uromastix, basalisk, and a ton more I'm sure I don't know about (still pretty new toteh whole lizard thing :) . I think what it'll come down to is what are YOU looking for in a lizard? A display piece, more of a don't touch but lovely to look at lizard or one that you want to be able to handle on a regular basis.

jrr429

im thinking of a more "being able to touch and or hold" basis kind of lizard. was thinking a beardie or a BTS. they seem really cool

ReptileNinja101

For a BTS a 40 breeder is way better in terms of walking space. BTS cannot climb so your just wasting 2ft of space above the ground. Also not to mention heating the ground, you will need a much more powerful bulb because the space inbetweeen the ground and top. They are also burrowers and spent alot of time in the substrate. So for a tank this size I would go with a bearded dragon as a few other people have mentioned.

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
Uromastix are also pretty handle-able from what I've read on them... pros please correct me if I'm srong. Also there's pink tongues skinks as well, moneky tailed skinks (Prehensiled tailed skink) but they may need more than 2 feet of climbing height. A friend of mine has a really nice adult beardie for sale right now. I have it posted in the classified section. I don't know if she would ship tho.

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
For a BTS a 40 breeder is way better in terms of walking space. BTS cannot climb so your just wasting 2ft of space above the ground. Also not to mention heating the ground, you will need a much more powerful bulb because the space inbetweeen the ground and top. They are also burrowers and spent alot of time in the substrate. So for a tank this size I would go with a bearded dragon as a few other people have mentioned.

If the tank is only 2 feet high and he fills a foot of that with substrait it's only 1 foot of height available so that would be good for a bts.

jrr429

yeah i dislike that the tall tank would seem as a waste of sapce. but yeah those were just two options i thought of lol. might check more into BD's.

ReptileNinja101

Your right but for the water bowl and basking rock that would be a problem. BTS I mean love to burrow I own one myself and he's constantly digging. So a BTS will eventually bury his bowls and rocks and stuff. Also a safety issue is he can get squished by the stuff on top of the substrate. Unless you provide a super tall basking site or place to put the water but I think it still would be a pain. As for a bearded dragon they love to climb on stuff and that wouldn't be a problem in a tank this size. Like adding a large log/stick for the BD to climb on utilises the whole 2ft of space better.

jrr429

sounds very true. well looks like a BD is what ill start looking into more :) maybe one day i'll obtain a tank fitting for a BTS....off to research about bearded dragons!

L-G-C

More than just leos now
My BTS Mercutio doesn't really dig to hide, he just moves his house were he wants it. :p But I would also suggest BD since they are really cool and like someone said earleir, a BD would be better for the tank.

Visit our friends