Can you feed mealworm beetles to your leo?

B

BioWorkZ

So can you feed the darkling beetle/mealworm beetles to your leo? It's essentially a gutloaded insect. Maybe the shell might be too tough for the leo. Has anyone tried this before with success?

Ben K.

Palor

Chaotic Nights Reptile
Most animals will not eat a darkling beetle, not even my toads will eat them, as they secret a nasty bitter oil.

STUTFL

My hamster tried to eat one, and ended up wiping its face for a very long time afterward.
The gecko will eat nearly anything when he's in "feed mode," but beetles are pretty exoskeleton-y. :tongue3: Doesn't seem like it'd be great food value. Birds and mammals usually just take the squishy parts.

leoman777

my tarantula ate one but it was right when it turned into a beetle when it was white and my tremper male ate one but he had a weird look on his face LOL

B

BioWorkZ

Must be some inherit understanding from all animals to leave beetles alone. Thanks for your answers everyone. =)

RainbowGecko

I've never tried feeding beetles to my gecko, but I can tell you that my chickens seem to love them (but then again, my chickens will eat anything :)).

Visit our friends