Does anyone know...

thestack510

Rest In Peace jmlslayer
of a natural deterrent for ants? One of my tubs was raided by ants. It was only one tub and all of my Leos are safe. I want to nip the problem in the bud without poison of any sort. Luckily ants aren't the smartest creatures. There was a bin full of crickets right next to the rack, they didn't get into that. I have no idea why they went to that particular tub, a lucky scout must have stumbled upon an easy meal, there were a few dead crickets in the tub.

shadowx362

Excellent Geckos
I have used Raid before around the tubs without a problem. I just removed the geckos from the room at the time and let it air out. It was also a milder one( forgot what the label said).
I would check were they came from and see if you could put some poison there first before anywhere else.

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
Ken, here where we live we are inundated with the Argentine ants, and they are unstoppable. I have had them get into my tubs and incubator and actually kill my geckos. You cannot bait them, because if they take the poison back to the queen and she dies, all the workers will get absorbed into other colonies.

Most of the time, they are after the dead crickets or mealworms... so keeping the tubs clear of them will help. The other thing you can do that does not involve poison is to spray that cooking spray (like Pam) around the bottoms of your enclosures. When the ants send out scouts, they leave a scent trail so the rest of the colony can follow it to the food source. The oily spray prevents them from leaving and following that scent trail.

If you have some time, do a Google search on the Argentine ant, and you will see how bad the problem is here in California! Our native horned lizard is now almost extinct because these ants kill and eat the native ants that are the main food source for the lizards, and they are starving to death. These little savages are getting into bird's nests and killing baby birds, and other wildlife.

thestack510

Rest In Peace jmlslayer
Thanks for the details Marcia. I think I've done well at getting rid of the pheromone trail, they haven't returned. I hadn't thought of using Pam to throw them off. I woke up frantic at 4:00 am to check my babies, all is well.

Yamori

Aussie Reptile Keeper
Mint
Interestingly enough, ants really don't like the smell of mint. Spraying a bottle with some water and a few drops of peppermint oil in strategic locations around your house can act as a good natural deterrent and barrier. Additionally you may wish to place a few drops of the undiluted peppermint oil near their entry points as some extra discouragement. Check to ensure that the oil won't damage the surface first, though, along with being aware that cats and other small animals may be affected. You can also use simple mint tea bags. Planting mint outside can also be an effective way to discourage them from parts of your garden.
Talcum Powder
A light coating of talcum powder across an ant's path will leave them disorientated and send them running for home. Simply follow the ant trail and cover it with powder. You may also want to leave it around where they enter the house, as an extra barrier.
Cucumber
Ants really dislike the smell (and probably taste) of cucumber. While it is preferred to clean up any food scraps, leaving the cucumber peels next to any ant entrance points in your home can work as a very effective deterrent.
Other things that ants dislike include:
Cinnamon
Garlic
Citrus oils
Coffee grounds
Lemon juice
Cayenne pepper and black pepper
Windex
Vinegar
For the most part ants dislike anything with a strong smell, so placing this near their trail or entry point can be a good discouragement

Haligren

is behind you.
I have heard that ground up corn flakes can kill them as ants can't digest corn. But it's sweet, so they try to eat it anyway.

Might be an old wives' tale, but it's something I heard in Virginia.

Visit our friends