first dropped tail

sunshinegeckos

My one AFT dropped her tail for unknown reasons. It looks like a clean break. I put antibiotic ointment on it and changed her paper towels. Anything else I should do?

Quantumhigh

Geckos of Oz
Sorry to hear that. One of my leopards did the same awhile back for no apparent reason. Keep em hydrated and make sure there is a calcium dish are my only other thoughts. But your probably all over it. Good luck

MiamiLeos

Sorry to hear. Sounds like you've got it covered though. Only thing I could recommend other than what you have going on is not to breed her this season if you were planning on it. It would take a lot out of her to both produce eggs and regrow her tail.

Imperial Geckos

LIVE THE LIFE ™
I would actually not put any type of ointment on her tail. It makes it easer for debris to stick to the tail. Just make sure the tub is clean at all times and feed like normal. I would also watch out for any crickets trying to chew on the geckos fresh flesh.

Your fatty will be just fine!

sunshinegeckos

thanks everyone. She is just a baby so had no plans to breed her next year. I will keep her tub clean and put extra calcium and extra food. She actually likes mealworms and silkworms more than crickets so I think I will keep her off crickets until it at least heals over.

Visit our friends