Heating, Tanks, and Size Question

JdiLb

Hey,
- are lamps or pads better for heating? Do the lamps have a temp adjustment?
- does anyone know a site to get good tanks really cheap?

I'm going to a local show this Sunday so I'll be picking the fatties up, hopefully.

-Should I get 2x 15 gallon tanks, 2x 20 gallon tanks, or 1x 20 gallon tank for a male and female?

Last edited:

brillobee

Glittering Geckos
Pads are better. They like to stretch out and lay on top of the heat. To control the temps of pads and lamps you can use a lamp dimmer. I get mine from wal-mart. I think that more space is better. I keep my adult male leos in 15 g tanks. Recommended size is 10 g per animal, get what tanks will work for you. Remember only 1 male per tank.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
The fatties tend to like to bunch up in their hides and don't get out much, so they can do OK in a smaller enclosure, but I wouldn't go any farther than 10 gallons for one. That said, there are people on here who keep them in even smaller spaces and say they do well.

Best sources in my opinion for cheap tanks:
--used tanks at shows
--craigslist
--yard sales
--Petco $1 /gallon periodic sale

If you get your fatties from more than 1 vendor at the show, do be sure to quarantine them.

Enjoy.

Aliza

JdiLb

Thanks, I'll have to get a dimmer unless it has one already. I definitely wouldn't want them in less than 10 gallons, I'll probably even get a 15g for each,

or split a 20g into two sides? Has anyone tried this?

And yeah tanks are usually pretty cheap there, I'll look for some good deals.

Visit our friends