Herpers Are Pretty Awesome

M_surinamensis

Shillelagh Law
As the title says, it has been brought to my attention tonight that herpers are pretty amazing people, as a group.

It came up in a conversation. Brandi Hockaday, who some users may know from Fauna, is participating in a charity event to raise money for a non-profit animal welfare organization, the details can be found over here- http://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/brandihockaday/pinsforpets (Hint: go donate). It got me thinking about herpers in general though. Over the years I've gotten to know quite a few people, animal people... pet owners and animal lovers, naturalists and activists of all kinds who are brought together by a common interest in reptiles and amphibians. They're pretty amazing people when it comes to how much time, effort, attention and resources they dedicate to something other than themselves. Active in their local, state and national government, aware of environmental issues and threats to wild places, attentive and engaged in every way they possibly can be to ensure the world is a pretty good place.

I told Brandi I was sure that herpers, being animal loving types, would support her as she does this charity bowling thing. She implied that she wasn't sure people who didn't know her, on a website she doesn't visit would be willing to help out. Prove me right, so I can rub it in her face. I really want to rub it in her face. If need be, I'll barter for it. I'm picturing some kind of giant photo of my ugly mug, divided into blacked out squares, with individual sections removed as donations are made. Or I'll just sell my time answering reptile questions, whichever.

(Really want to rub it in her face. Really really.)

Edit: Attaching a photo. Every five dollars buys off another square and gets things closer to the public revelation of my face. Something I never set out to be mysterious about, but it's kind of worked out that way.

Last edited:

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
I wish I could go over on Fauna, but I can certainly help! (Rich banned me for defending GeckoForums.net. Just saying). But you're right. For as much squabbling that goes on between herpers, we DO put our personal agendas aside and ban together against a common enemy or for a common cause.

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
LOL! Here is Brandi's response to my donation, and telling her that Seamus want to rub it in her face:

Leave it to Seamus.

But thank you very much.. I needed a smile today, and that definitely is what you gave me.

thank you
~Brandi

Yes, reptile folks are awesome...

M_surinamensis

Shillelagh Law
I suspect she just did it because that's the kind of person she is, but Marcia got things started and here's the updated picture.

It is a photo of me. I will knock off the next numbered square for every five dollars Brandi gets from this thread. If I run out of squares (here's hoping) then I'll come up with something else for anyone who goes above and beyond that amount.

M_surinamensis

Shillelagh Law
Eleven down from GF members, updated photo. I'm starting to think I should have used more squares. You guys are the best.

M_surinamensis

Shillelagh Law
Maybe I just have really tiny hands?

(It is a photo of me when I was seven, you're far too observant. If it gets cleared, I'll take one of me now and add that too. You have robbed me of my moment of glee though Kristi. I will not forget this outrage!)

acharpenter

I am always down for helping out the animals. The bowling alley is actually just down the street from where I work...i'm surprized I have never heard of this local organization.

Seamus - get the pic updated with whats left, and then get ready to throw a current one up for continued donations.

Miss Tuniwha

the odd one...
ok.. so.. I am the one doing this fundraiser as a part of my jobs yearly fundraiser..

I see the comment that Marcia left.. and I did the little.. head tilt that dogs do ..

So I comment to Seamus.. mentioning the comment.. and he replies with something along the lines of.. "OH, she probably meant this" followed by the link to this page.

So I had NO idea he did this.. So thank you Seamus, for such a wonderful idea!

And thank you for all that have donated, or are planning to in the future :D

And to acharpenter: the "pins for pets" is the fundraiser that the pet store I work at does. (Chuck and Dons) I think this is the third year or so for it?? I am not sure though, if they do it at the same bowling alley each year or not. This year will be a 2 day event :D

Miss Tuniwha

the odd one...
Seamus might have to take a couple more photos .. maybe in compromising positions?? lol.. or maybe he should have photos of HIMSELF in his chat roulette comic poses!!

M_surinamensis

Shillelagh Law
Fourteen down. I'm checking the page and updating them as I see them, when I wander by. If I miss any, kick me a few times and I'll fix it.

Kind of related... not to be crude about it Brandi, but if this gimmick can help get some attention (people are donating because it's a good cause, not to see my lightbulbhead) when it's a photo of me... imagine what could be done with a photo of you. I'm a guy, trust me when I say that young men would line up to take squares off a photo of your Halloween costume.

Miss Tuniwha

the odd one...
Fourteen down. I'm checking the page and updating them as I see them, when I wander by. If I miss any, kick me a few times and I'll fix it.

Kind of related... not to be crude about it Brandi, but if this gimmick can help get some attention (people are donating because it's a good cause, not to see my lightbulbhead) when it's a photo of me... imagine what could be done with a photo of you. I'm a guy, trust me when I say that young men would line up to take squares off a photo of your Halloween costume.

lol, I think most people have seen that photo.. I love it oh so very much... so many have seen it.. .. lol.. A for effort though :p

JordanAng420

You know, I haven't seen that photo, but I have seen some pics of Brandi over on Fauna, and I have to say that i'm not a young man (the last time I checked, at least) but I would sure stand in line to remove squares off any photo of hers...she's very pretty! :)

Anyways, Seamus, cut it out with all this "ugly mug", "lightbulbhead" crap...I have a feeling you really aren't that bad looking after all... ;)

Visit our friends