housing 2 different species

thom_fish

A friend of a friend has given me an Australian barking gecko (not sure of the exact classification yet) because they can no longer care for it. I accepted as a temporary/permanent thing but the problem is I only keep knob-tails.

My question is, can you keep two different species in one terrarium so long as they are similar size? I can keep them separately however I was interested to see if they can be integrated?

anyone know or tried this?

thanks

thom

Ccrashca069

I think you should keep them separate. There are some breeders here who keep several species of knobbies but house them all separate. I hope this gives you a short term answer untill Marcia or anyone else that keeps them sees this and responds.

Haroldo

Actually, it's the other way around in my experience...I keep my U. milli far drier than I have N. levis levis or N. wheeleri cinctus. If anything, I'd keep them similar to N. amyae. In any case, Nephrurus (and Underwoodisaurus in some respects), are solitary animals. I keep them singly unless breeding. Just my opinion...

I

ileventhal86

Haroldo said:
Actually, it's the other way around in my experience...I keep my U. milli far drier than I have N. levis levis or N. wheeleri cinctus. If anything, I'd keep them similar to N. amyae. In any case, Nephrurus (and Underwoodisaurus in some respects), are solitary animals. I keep them singly unless breeding. Just my opinion...

I agree about keeping them separate. The milii would probably do okay being housed with another similar species as far as temperament but they do have different housing requirements as well as Nephrurus tend to stress quite easily, especially being housed with multiple individuals. I keep my milii fairly moist, not nearly as moist as N. levis (or similar sp.) but not dry like a rough skinned species either. U. milii are found all over the continent of Australia and in many different habitats. They can do well pretty much anywhere as long as it's not too extreme one way or another.

Visit our friends