I'm ready for a large lizard.

geckos'n'stuff123

I've been doing a lot of research and come to the decision that i am ready to get one of my most beloved kinds of animals, the big lizards. at first I was thinking I want an Argentine tegu but then i started thinking that monitors are also quit interesting and beautiful. i need some advise from experienced keepers. what are easier to tame, tegus or monitors (what species is the easiest?) i will be getting a baby and will have time to work with them almost everyday. i want something that i can let walk around the house for a little while and possible take it out on a harness every once in a while (this will not be a regular thing or may not happen at all if the "experts" on this forum advice against it). which species of monitor is the best to start with. i want something bigger and can live in a cage roughly about 8' long by 4' wide by 3' high. i can make it taller if needed. I've heard tagus make really good pets and will want attention if tamed as babys. what is the truth to this and is it the same with monitors. i have about $200 at most to spend on the animal it self and already have a suietble cage that is about 4' long 2' wide 3' high. dont say and ackie there to small and im not interseted in anything smaller then 3.5'
thanks, fenn

katie_

Wonder Reptiles
I would get a tegu, in my experience they are easier to take and are more docile. I have had more experience with them though, so it's hard for me to compare the two accurately.

geckos'n'stuff123

that's what i heard as well i was just wondering if you handled a baby Sav or nile for instance like and hour or so a day would they calm down to be the same as a tegu?

LeopardShade

Spotted Shadow
I do not have experience when it comes to working with Teiids, Varanids, or any other type of large lizard, so what I'm saying is backed by my personal knowledge of these reptiles (generally know more about Tegus than most monitors), and can certainly be refuted by a more experienced hobbyist if incorrect.

what are easier to tame, tegus or monitors (what species is the easiest?)

While I would never usually associate the word "tame" with these big lizards, certain species of tegu, if exposed and handled from a young age, are predisposed to be rather docile. I'm talking about the Argentine Black and White Tegu and the Red Tegu. These species tend to be very interactive, intelligent, and rewarding reptiles if managed well. If you are deciding to get a tegu whom you'd like to become rather handleable, these two species would be your best bet. Stay away from the Columbian Black and Whites and the Golds, as these have a tendency to be naturally flighty and skittish. However tractable a tegu may seem, though, I must warn that they are known to have pretty aggressive feeding responses when presented with food. Being extremely intelligent, they can pick up on the patterns of feeding rather quickly.

I thought I must add something else. I could never consider any species of Teiid or Varanid, no mater how tractable, docile, or handleable, fully, 100% tame. They are large, powerful lizards that have sharp teeth, needle-like claws, and long, whipping tails They have the potential to inflict substantial damage to their keeper with these characteristics, and to add insult to injury, will usually not hesitate voiding the contents of their cloaca if in a foul mood. They cannot be fully tamed, and should not be considered so.

and possible take it out on a harness every once in a while

I would advise against that. They are not dogs, and should not be treated like one.

i was just wondering if you handled a baby Sav or nile for instance like and hour or so a day would they calm down to be the same as a tegu?

Maybe a Savannah, but definitely not a Nile monitor. I would strongly advise that if you decide to go forth and purchase a monitor, that it not be a Nile. These lizards need a lot, and I mean a lot of space, as they are one of the largest members of the Varanus genus and have the potential to be anywhere up to 4-8, sometime's 9 feet long. Along with that, they have a notoriously bad temperament and many do not become tractable or handleable. If older or larger than a hatchling when obtained, there is probably no species of monitor more difficult to rear. Only for the most dedicated and experienced hobbyists.

Last edited:

katie_

Wonder Reptiles
Have you considered an iguana? Some can be aggressive but I've met several 'tame' individuals.

doublet74

Iguanas are a piece of cake. And they get pretty big. I had one I got when I was 10. It was pver 4' when it passed away. There are alot of cool color morphs out there for them. I never had a tegu BUT I did have a 4' and still growing Nile Monitor. The previous poster was correct they get HUGE. I had to donate mine to a zoo after it tried to eat my GREAT DANE. Although they can be docile towards you they WON'T be toward anything or anyone else. Not a joke.

geckos'n'stuff123

i have considered an iguana but thinking a head i don't know if i would have the space and i really would rather have a terrestrial animal. i wasn't considering getting a nile i was only using it as an example. the 2 species i am stuck on are the Argentine B&W and the Savannah monitor. from the research I've done i have picked up that both can be "tamed" down with extensive work as babys, both are out roughly about 4.5', tegus need a higher humidity and need about the same size encloser and that tegus like a varied diet of both meat and vegetable matter and savs are strictly carnivorous. my research is far from over but this is what i have picked up on what they have in common. i want a sav because of what i stated above, there less exspeasive so i will have more money to really go abouve and beond with its encloser and i like how the look. i want a tegu for all the same reasons exsept the cost part and they seem to be easier to "tame" down. what are your opinons of this? and which one do you think would be the better "pet"?

Last edited:

LeopardShade

Spotted Shadow
and which one do you think would be the better "pet"?

Your ultimate deciding factor should not be the initial purchase price of the animal, there are so many more important factors that should influence your decision, such as your personal preference, what behaviors you want to deal with, the overall price of the care of the animal. It's all up to you what animal you want to buy.

I believe if you want a larger lizard that has the potential to "tame" down easily and become quite docile and handleable, essentially be more like a "pet", you should go with an Argentine B&W Tegu. When it comes to these traits, this species of Tegu, IMO, is behaviorally superior to the Savannah monitor. If raised and handled from a juvenile, you could have a very tractable adult.

If you are going to go with a Savannah, you should purchase a captive bred one. Wild caught ones can carry a hefty parasite load, and could take a longer time acclimating and calming down due to the stress of shipping and importation. Ideally, like the tegu, you should look for a juvenile. As for "taming", the process with Savannahs could take a bit longer than a tegu. If the animal is healthy, it will most likely behave aggressively towards you, employing defense ploys such as biting, hissing and puffing up, scratching, and lashing with their tail. More work could be required on your part in the "taming" process.

Whatever you decide to go with, make sure to do plenty of research.

geckos'n'stuff123

i was in no means saying that the price of the animal was a deciding factor i was only stating that since the sav is less expensive i will have more money for its care but have decided to go with the tegu. and i have been researching the care of both these animals for over a year now and i haven't stopped. i will be getting it in September and it will be a baby :)

Visit our friends