Losing a friend

latshki

Breeder in the making
So last friday I lost my best friend
My 8 year old beagle rat terrier mix was hit by a car after running out the door while moving furniture outside. She was hit by a speeder who never slowed down, never looked back, and has officially earned my hatred, and I am not one to hate. Snoopy's pelvis was shattered and she had lost a lot of blood, the vets gave her a 10% chance of living through the night. So at approximately 6:00 pm she was put to sleep. That night I cried like I have never cried before, the only way I can describe the way I felt was when I broke my leg except it was all over my body, I shook, hit things, broke things, screamed, shouted, weeped, moaned, and prayed to a god I don`t believe in. The first thing I did when I got home was grab her leash and went for a walk, she loved walks, and when I got her as a pup I promised myself I would walk her every day, and I broke that promise.
She loved walks, they were her pure joy in life and yet I only took her for a walk once a week or so, although she did go to the park and cottage a few times a week for off leash walks, for some reason the leash was her addiction. The mere mention of the word walk or leash would throw her ina fit of shaking, whining, dog full of joy.
So when I finished her last walk I went home and cried my self to sleep.

sorry for the novel, and sob story, if you dont want to read more leave now

The next day I woke up around 2 am, I dug out some paint and a large flat rock that I had and made her grave stone
I then went on to dig her grave, shaking and moaning for this all to end, it took me 2 hours to dig her small grave and I put blood sweat and tears into it, especially tears. But by then I had dried up.
I quietly went to the nursery to get flowers, chose some flowers and ignored the workers who asked if I needed assistance, I oddly remember feeling horrible for ignoring them but I knew any words would turn on the sobbing again. So we went home, I carried to her grave, wrapped her in a blanket, kissed her good bye, held her for a while, shed more tears, and gently placed her in her grave. We put her leash, a bone, and a hot dog in with her.
we covered her with another blanket and started burying her, hand full by handful, tear by tear.

We planted the flowers, placed her headstone, and covered her grave with black mulch, rounded up some of her toys and set them on her grave, raked around to get all the loose dirt, and that was it
I will not ever see my baby again, I will not be greeted by her at the door, I wont have to worry about stepping in poop, I wonk have to buy any more dog treats, i wont have any dog under the covers at my feet every night who groans and growls if she has to move, I wont have any dog that I will remember as much as her as she was my true best friend, she was the only girl in my life that made my day so much better every day, all day.

I am sorry to write this, I am sorry shes gone, I am sorry if I made anyone sad, I just wrote this so I could start to move on

thanks for listening gecko forums
Im sure there will be more with time
RIP snoopy, I will always love you

Wowoklol

So last friday I lost my best friend
My 8 year old beagle rat terrier mix was hit by a car after running out the door while moving furniture outside. She was hit by a speeder who never slowed down, never looked back, and has officially earned my hatred, and I am not one to hate. Snoopy's pelvis was shattered and she had lost a lot of blood, the vets gave her a 10% chance of living through the night. So at approximately 6:00 pm she was put to sleep. That night I cried like I have never cried before, the only way I can describe the way I felt was when I broke my leg except it was all over my body, I shook, hit things, broke things, screamed, shouted, weeped, moaned, and prayed to a god I don`t believe in. The first thing I did when I got home was grab her leash and went for a walk, she loved walks, and when I got her as a pup I promised myself I would walk her every day, and I broke that promise.
She loved walks, they were her pure joy in life and yet I only took her for a walk once a week or so, although she did go to the park and cottage a few times a week for off leash walks, for some reason the leash was her addiction. The mere mention of the word walk or leash would throw her ina fit of shaking, whining, dog full of joy.
So when I finished her last walk I went home and cried my self to sleep.

sorry for the novel, and sob story, if you dont want to read more leave now

The next day I woke up around 2 am, I dug out some paint and a large flat rock that I had and made her grave stone
I then went on to dig her grave, shaking and moaning for this all to end, it took me 2 hours to dig her small grave and I put blood sweat and tears into it, especially tears. But by then I had dried up.
I quietly went to the nursery to get flowers, chose some flowers and ignored the workers who asked if I needed assistance, I oddly remember feeling horrible for ignoring them but I knew any words would turn on the sobbing again. So we went home, I carried to her grave, wrapped her in a blanket, kissed her good bye, held her for a while, shed more tears, and gently placed her in her grave. We put her leash, a bone, and a hot dog in with her.
we covered her with another blanket and started burying her, hand full by handful, tear by tear.

We planted the flowers, placed her headstone, and covered her grave with black mulch, rounded up some of her toys and set them on her grave, raked around to get all the loose dirt, and that was it
I will not ever see my baby again, I will not be greeted by her at the door, I wont have to worry about stepping in poop, I wonk have to buy any more dog treats, i wont have any dog under the covers at my feet every night who groans and growls if she has to move, I wont have any dog that I will remember as much as her as she was my true best friend, she was the only girl in my life that made my day so much better every day, all day.

I am sorry to write this, I am sorry shes gone, I am sorry if I made anyone sad, I just wrote this so I could start to move on

thanks for listening gecko forums
Im sure there will be more with time
RIP snoopy, I will always love you

Awww. Sorry to hear. Very touching. They are truly part of the family. The loss is great but her memories will be even greater :) Keep your chin up, she wouldn't want you to be sad.

tlbowling

Geck~OCD
I can honestly say I know EXACTLY how you feel, the same thing happened to me pretty much. Only I was 8 months pregnant, I was out watering the flowers, my husband had just come back from Home Depot, and he was carrying stuff in the door. Our little Border Collie/ Corgi mix got out and a car ran right over his head! I witnessed the whole thing :( The car never stopped, (I live in a little neighborhood, not on a highway, these are 25 mph little neighborhood streets.) My husband grabbed his keys and took off after the guy, he caught up to him and ran him off the road, and made him come back and see what he had done to our family!
The way you talk about your dog reminds me of myself, my dog was my little shadow, he was jam packed with personality, he would also talk back if he had to move while in our bed, I swear he muttered obscenities in english under his breath,lol. He'd give you exactly 20 minutes to eat, and if you weren't done he'd start yodeling, it was ADORABLE! He loved the pool so much, he wouldn't get out, and almost drown! We bought him a life preserver and he LOVED it! We have so many great stories about him, and if this thread wasn't yours...I have so much more to tell. I just wanted you to know you're not alone :( My dog was killed 9 years ago, and it still feels recent. I don't think I'll ever get over it. I really miss him.

I'm so sorry for your terrible loss. Its such a horrible thing.

Last edited:

Bones93

-hugs- I'm sorry....

"Do not cry for me,
I have lived each day like it were my first,
I never know that there will be a last,
I have run and chased and laughed, I have smelled girl dog, horse poop and rotten meat,
I have eaten bad fish and fresh elk , I have skied great peaks and listened to coyotes.
If I have been sad sad, it has never been for me, only when you were low.
I am the happiest of creatures a great golden dog of yours. Do not cry for me. But you can cry and I will be there for the one thing I know --I am first in your heart,
which is always why I sleep in utter peace of always seeing you"
~Merle's Door

Lori

I am very sorry for your loss. I lost my 11 year old male Lab the day after Christmas last year. He had a battle with cancer that he ultimately lost. I can't imagine the shock of the sudden loss that you have had. They really do become part of the family and your best friend. My thoughts are with you!

prettyinpink

I'm so very sorry for your loss. It's never easy loosing a beloved pet.

She wouldn't want you to be sad right now, so try your best to keep your chin up. *hugs*

latshki

Breeder in the making
It was so weird how just a few minutes before she was on the couch trying to eat my sandwich right out of my hand, and then she was just gone.

For a few days I just felt like I was living in a horrible dream and any minute I would wake up and she would be right there next to me like she always was.

thanks for the kind words, it has helped quite a lot

Visit our friends