Mealworm colony.

herpencounter

Herpencounter.com
Well I was bored so I snapped some pictures of my mealworm colony.
I used attachments for this and they do not come out as clear, I will be using photobucket in my next posts.

Tubs.
View attachment 20807

Baby mealie.
View attachment 20812

Mealies.
View attachment 20808

Pupas.
View attachment 20810

Beetles.
View attachment 20809

Super worm, mealworm, mealworm pupa, super worm pupa, and dime.
mealies036-1.jpg

Any questions you may have ask away =)

Last edited:

vctkiller

Ruler Of the WORLD!!
Hey I've found one pupae from my mealworm colony. How long does it hatch cause I already had it for about 1 week still not hatched.

M

minitrent

I use ciniamon oat meal for bedding in my mealworm colony is that okay cause they dont move much i just wanted to make sure because i was getting worried.Thanks alot.
Pat

herpencounter

Herpencounter.com
I use ciniamon oat meal for bedding in my mealworm colony is that okay cause they dont move much i just wanted to make sure because i was getting worried.Thanks alot.
Pat

I have never heard of any one using flavored oats before…
I would remove them and put them on plain oats (not instant I get 42 oz for $3).
As for them not moving are they about the size of the mealworm in the last picture? If they are then they are probably about to pupate.

Bodon

I am having trouble with my colony. I have had beetles for several weeks now but no eggs that i am aware of and no baby mealworms, also many of the beetles are dying. I use oatmeal to feed them and i put in carrots or potatos every few days, what am i doing wrong?

P

Pepper

It can take months too see the mealworms. I think it's 3-6 months and the mealworms are about 1/2 inch long? Someone correct me if I'm wrong, that's just what I've read.

They hatch out tiny!! And the eggs are about the size of a period at the end of a sentence.

If the beetles are dying then they have probably laid eggs and are done with their life cycle.

Last edited by a moderator:

herpencounter

Herpencounter.com
I am having trouble with my colony. I have had beetles for several weeks now but no eggs that i am aware of and no baby mealworms, also many of the beetles are dying. I use oatmeal to feed them and i put in carrots or potatos every few days, what am i doing wrong?

Take a knife and scrape the top of the oats off in the darkest part of the tub and you should see some little mealies.

The beetles will die 4-8 weeks after they become beetles so I don’t think you are doing anything wrong its just there time to go :main_thumbsup:.

It can take months too see the mealworms. I think it's 3-6 months and the mealworms are about 1/2 inch long? Someone correct me if I'm wrong, that's just what I've read.

They hatch out tiny!! And the eggs are about the size of a period at the end of a sentence.

If the beetles are dying then they have probably laid eggs and are done with their life cycle.

It takes 3-4 months after they hatch to become pupa.

Yes the eggs are clear/white and are about the size of a period.

Bodon

ahhhh ok, i see

also, can you put super meal worms in with normal mealworms when they are at the beetle stage? I have a bunch of supers that are turning into pupae and i dont know if i need to make a separate colony?

Visit our friends