Mourning geckos

animeavatar

I <3 Mu Mu!!
Does anyone have any experience with them? I'm considering them.
Here are my questions:

1. What is the highest and lowest temperature they can live at?

2. If I use cocofibre as substrate can I put springtails in it?<-- and some plants

3. Can I plant grass in it?( no pesticides or anything harmful)

WingedWolfPsion

Mourning geckos are quite hardy, I'm breeding them myself. I have no idea what the high and low temperatures would be.
I keep mine at about 75F with a 90F basking spot, and drop to room temperature at night. They're thriving.
60 to 80% humidity.
Spray for water.

Mine are eating Repashy CGD. They also like any sort of small insect.

You probably already know that this is a parthenogenic species comprised of all females. Make sure each female has a bamboo tube or PVC tube to call her own, and she will glue eggs inside of it.

You can use whatever you like as a substrate, that holds moisture. I have soil and moss. If you put live plants in, you'll need to provide strong lighting for the plants--be sure it doesn't heat the cage too much.

joshsfrogs

Springtails will reproduce in coconut husk fiber (a common brand is Exo-Terra Plantation Soil) as long as you do not let the fiber become too damp and waterlogged, which is why it is always a good idea to put a drainage layer at the bottom of tropical vivaria. Plants do not seem to grow that well in coconut husk fiber- which is why it would be a good idea to put the plant in a pot with a different type of planting media (without any fertilizers), and just submerge the pot into the coconut husk fiber. A good planting media with excellent drainage is ABG mix (which stands for the Atlanta Botanical Garden, where it was developed). It breaks down very slowly, and is not prone to becoming waterlogged.

As for grass, what type were you thing of? The typical grass species that we use for our lawns typically require a bit of a dormancy period, and generally do not do well long term at constant temperatures. They are also fairly susceptible to fungal infections when kept at constant high humidity. There is a species that might do well- Mini Mondo Grass (Ophiopogon japonicus nana). It stays very small, and doesn't mind high humidity or wet soils.

Dan Szewczyk

Dimidiata

Speaking of grass, i have heard that dwarf hair grass(we use it in the fish keeping area) can be grown so long as its kept humid in terestrial settings.

Visit our friends