My first pair of N. amyae!

PDDM

I love Australian reptiles, and I'm really excited to have had the opportunity to purchase this pair of Nephurus amyae off of Roger (RM Reptiles). The box arrived early this morning via Reptiles Express, I opened the box and got these guys out of the deli-cups and was blown away. I have never had the pleasure of seeing this guys in person. I've worked with and bred wheeleri before so that was kind of the size I was expecting on these geckos(I did know they would be bigger than the wheeleri but didn't know how MUCH bigger they'd be)--but WOW! These guys are HUGE (compared to what I was expecting) The female has a bigger head on her than my 70+ Gram female Leopard gecko. And the female was angry right out of the deli, gotta say it is a surprisingly intimidating little beast. Super happy with these two.

Heres some pictures of the female. An unboxing video is uploading as we speak.

DSC00357BAVfw.jpg

DSC00358jOiIA.jpg

DSC00359XSIrd.jpg

Thanks for looking!

EDIT: Unboxing video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg5N4kuepjs&lc=cCuNBXqJE_2qbIfOgk5_gHSMIlmDL4HuxRzZjNsHkeo

PDDM

They've actually calmed down quite a good bit already. The male is actually a bit more nervous than the female shes actually really tame it seems, but I'm trying not to open their bins to look at them every couple hours, its hard though they're so damn cool. I noticed your names knobguy, so let me ask you, have you had any luck feeding your knobtails any worms?

knobguy

They'll get accustomed to knowing you and eating in front of you. Handling them, is what freaks them out the most. If you want them to get on silkworms/mealworms as your staple diet(I'm not sure if they're a good staple diet, I'd assume silkworms way better than mealworms) try starving them for a few days and the movement of the worms should be enough to trigger them to eat. I've had success feeding waxworms to my amyae as a treat without having to go through the starving process. This is only if you can't do dubia or even crickets.

PDDM

Well the mealworms and superworms I feed are gutloaded with Repashy Bug burger to increase their nutritional value. It's not just about the insect you put into the animal but what you put into the insect before its fed to the animal. I never seen any geck refuse waxworms. At the same time wax worms are extremely high in fat. The female ate a couple silks but I have little doubt that they'll eat the superworms, just because they move so much.

thanks!

geckoejon

very nice... i just purchased my first pair of amyae as well. i will hopefully get them in about a week and will post some pics. i have had plenty of leos over the years. can't wait to get my first knobs. the video was pretty cool. i kind of like the feisty attitudes. lol hope you enjoy.
jonathan

Visit our friends