Need advice ....

I'm not sure that I posted this in the right place, but I couldn't find another place where it really fit.

I started my prerequisites for nursing a few months ago and am about to start my actual nursing courses, but I am thinking about looking into becoming a herp vet. Do any of you know the pros and cons of this career field? What are the business opportunities? Is there any advice or warnings I should know before trying to pursue this any farther?

Thanks much guys!! :)

Pinky81

Im no pro at college coarse requirements but I beleive you actually go to school to become a vet. then in the coarse of your career you can work to specialize in reptiles/exotics. personally i would think there is a good market for Vets who specialize in exotics/herps as its hard to find a quality herp vet in most areas. Its a lot of years of school and lots of $$$ for tuition. But think about it this way..no matter how the economy looks ppl still spend $$$ on their pets. So I think choosing to be a vet is pretty safe bet! And so is nursing (im partial as I am a RN :)

JordanAng420

Pinky is correct. You must establish yourself as a general practice veterinarian. As of right now, there is no TRUE specialty in reptile and amphibian medicine YET. But the AVMA is currently working on one. There are specialties in dentistry, dermatology, cardiology, neurology, ortho surgeries....look up ARAV on google, that is a good place to start.

JordanAng420

As a Certified Veterinary Technician, you need to complete a 2 year associates degree in veterinary technology at an approved school...if you wish to continue your career, you can go on to get your bachelor's degree in veterinary science....and then specialize in anesthesia, dentistry, or emergency and critical care medicine....

You can also get certified as an Approved Veterinary Assistant...

Visit our friends