New blue tongue skink

VampyricAngelX

I went to Repticon Baltimore today and got a blue tongue skink. I didn't have a whole lot of options, there were lots of snakes, other lizards, spiders, scorpions, frogs, axolotls, etc. but only two people selling BTS. I ended up buying one from a guy that has a shop right near me. I'm definitely going to check them out sometime soon. I'm not exactly sure what subspecies it is. I'm thinking its an Indonesian, but I'm not sure. He had one really large one, which he said was a male, and two slightly smaller ones he called females. I really liked the big one and the other small one but this one was nice and mellow but still active. Anyway, the tank is Agni's (my fire skink, who died a few months ago :() old 30 gallon breeder tank. Seems that the 30 gallon breeders are basically the same thing as 40 gallon breeders, just lacking a few inches in height.
1005167a.jpg

On the left I have a flat piece of slate as a basking spot. The 100 watt mercury vapor heat/uv light goes above that. Under the fake plants I have Agni's old exo terra XL hide, next is a piece of cork bark that forms a hide on the right side. The right side also has the water dish (oh and random humidity gauge in the middle there). The bedding is shredded aspen.

1005171m.jpg

1005179m.jpg

1005178.jpg

1005177l.jpg

1005176o.jpg

1005175d.jpg

1005173w.jpg

1005172n.jpg

Here she is eating a mix of canned dog food (lamb & veggies), a few canned snails (which she hasn't touched, oddly enough. I read they love snails), chopped up mustard greens (I'll have to chop them up a lot more and hide them in meat since she didn't want them), a raspberry (not pictured since it was gone by then), and two superworms (also gone) with calcium sprinkled on top.

I'm going to have to work on getting her on a decent diet. The guy said they were being fed superworms, crickets, and pinkie mice here and there. No greens or veggies. I'm going to let her settle in and hopefully she'll peek out later.

Magdalen

Ooooh she's pretty :) I've always thought skinks would be neat to have. I've been trying to find info on caring for a pygmy skink.

VampyricAngelX

I didn't give skinks too much of a thought until I saw someone's picture of a fire skink and I ended up getting one of those. I liked him enough to try another skink (even though he always hated me).

What kind of pygmy skink? Googling "pygmy skink" gives a few kinds, though they all look pretty neat.

Visit our friends