New drop-off

Obsidian Tears

I am the Wombat!
This is a nifty new section, great idea! :main_yes:

These two were just dropped off at my work a few days ago. Another frustrating case of parents buying pets for their kids without realizing that it's not really their child's pet, but the parents responsibilty. Anywho, lol, on to the gecko's. They had been kept in a little five-gallon tank with sand that hadn't been changed in eons based on how bad it smelled :main_lipsrsealed:. It was really gross, there was old shed, poop, and mites all over the place. The only source of heat was a very bright incandescent bulb, from which they only had a tiny like two-inch hide to retreat to- and then a 4"x2" tupperware container for water. I guess they were only getting fed every couple weeks because that's what the petstore employee had instructed when they first bought them (they're approx. 3yrs now). They're missing almost all their toes, and I'm going to hazard a guess and say the male was bullying the girl because she acts very afraid of him. Especially during feeding time. So now they're separate from each other- hopefully that will help her fatten up a bit. As soon as they came home I helped them with the stuck shed on their feet and head/eyelids. Now that they have better accomodations they're doing so much better :) It's a lot of fun giving them different worms and cockroaches since they'd only had crickets before- they get so excited! lol

male- Jasper
P1010914.jpg

female- Agate
P1010916.jpg

Khrysty

I have a male named Jasper too!

And these guys look to be in pretty good shape considering their conditions. It really irks me that people will buy a pet, any pet, and not understand how to take care of it or don't think they need to take care of it. How someone can not notice an animal suffering is beyond me. They got lucky ending up with you.

Obsidian Tears

I am the Wombat!
That's what irritated me the most. And sadly I see waaaaaay too much of it working at a petstore. Lol, although I guess I make up for it by being the "jerk" employee who sometimes refuses to sell animals to people if they don't seem like they're taking it seriously.

The only obvious big health issue with them is their stunted size...I'll have to get a comparison pic later. The boy seems like he's going to do great, although the female is kind of worrying me. Something is just....off about her movements. I just haven't pinpointed what it is.

Khrysty

That's what irritated me the most. And sadly I see waaaaaay too much of it working at a petstore. Lol, although I guess I make up for it by being the "jerk" employee who sometimes refuses to sell animals to people if they don't seem like they're taking it seriously.

The only obvious big health issue with them is their stunted size...I'll have to get a comparison pic later. The boy seems like he's going to do great, although the female is kind of worrying me. Something is just....off about her movements. I just haven't pinpointed what it is.

Yeah, that's the only health issue I can see with the little guy I rescued from a local pet store. She's 6 months but looks to be about a month, at most. She's 15g now, but was only 8g when I got her. She's 3.5 inches long :(

GeckoTrouble

These guys were lucky to have been brought in!

Their tails don't look too bad which is a good thing... were they getting any supplements do you know?

GeckoTrouble

The female may be moving funny if she's got MBD issues. And if they have been getting no supplements for that long, I wouldn't be surprised if that is an issue.

Good for you on being the jerk though :) My local pet stores know better than to try and sell a reptile or bird that is unsuitable for the owner or to try and give advice when I am around as I will butt in and tell them the truth ;)

Obsidian Tears

I am the Wombat!
That's true, thanks for pointing that out. :) I was too busy trying to think of everything that could be wrong I didn't take the time to think about the really obvious ones.

Krow

Sad... but a good thing you got them now, I like the female, she has a nice head pattern, it looks like: :happy:

Last edited:

Visit our friends