New house gecko viv!

Ratman667

So, I am sure that many of you saw that I now have two healthy, wild caught house geckos (from my back yard). After keeping them in a minimalistic cage until I saw them eat.

Today, I went out and got everything I needed to make them a proper habitat.

The substrate is a mix of top soil (baked) and Eco-Earth. The "background" is two pieces of driftwood that has been leached and baked.

I had a hard time deciding what plants to use, but went with a brom and a dwarf fern. The fern will need periodic trimming, but I think it looks good in there.

The lighting is a 75w equivalent "Daylight" CFL.

There are several hiding places under the wood and plants.

I still need to get dry ice to sterilize some leaves for ground cover and I am going to order some moss to grow on the wood.

Here are a few pics:

DSC_2976.jpg

DSC_2980.jpg

DSC_2983.jpg

Hope you like it.

Tony C

Wayward Frogger
Looks good, except that I would suggest taking the brom out of the substrate and mounting it on one of the driftwood pieces. Vriesea are epiphytes and usually rot when planted in the substrate.

Ratman667

Looks good, except that I would suggest taking the brom out of the substrate and mounting it on one of the driftwood pieces. Vriesea are epiphytes and usually rot when planted in the substrate.

Both plants are still in the pots they came from. I just hid the pots with Eco-Earth.

I take any info you give on vivs seriously, as you have more experience than I, however, I am going to give this a try and if it doesn't work, I will mount another to the wood.

Sal

Nice set up/ we have some non native arboreal geckos around here besides house geckos not sure what they are .

Think one type is that common green madagascar type gecko but no expert on geckos. The other I know is the ashy .

I like house geckos a lot great underrated little mosquito eaters who do not bother native fauna in the slightest bit. In truth they have probably been in Florida for 100 yrs plus or longer.

I have been looking at the 24 inch high model of those tanks. Does the bar in the top screen hinder light penetration, can it be removed?

Thanks

Ratman667

The one I have is the 24" tall version. I would recommend getting a larger, as this one is pretty small...

The bar is not removable without cutting. I wouldn't worry about it though, it doesn't effect the light at all. If you wanted to spend the extra money, you could get a hood for it.

Visit our friends