Poll: AFT eating mealworms.

Does your AFT eat mealies?

• Total voters

SA Leopards

Hey all!

I just want to ask you guys if your AFT's actually eat mealies? I only get WTF expressions from mine when I put mealies in their set-ups! :D Most if not all the care sheets that I downloaded said that AFTs will eat mealies, but I've never seen mine eat them?

Nerraw

Out of my two fatties only one will eat meal worms, and that is only occasionally. Usually they walk up to the worm, look at it like "what is this", sometimes even lick it, and then just turn around and walk away from them. Then sit and wait for crickets.

Imperial Geckos

LIVE THE LIFE ™
I start all my hatchlings out on mealworms so far in my 2010-2011 breeding season hatchlings... i am 7/9 for starting them successfully on mealworms. Keep in mind two geckos just hatched out 3 days ago..

Last year I stared on crickets and switched everyone over to mealworms. It took some time but sooner or later the babies and juvies got the hang of things. I was able to switch all 40+ babies over to mealworms.

Adults, did not do so well. 3 Switched over to mealworms. 2 Switched to Superworms. But the rest are eating crickets.

So with fat tails, it is best to start them on mealworms or try to switch them when they are young. However, it is important to remember each gecko has individual preferences and some are more picky than others. So I always have crickets on hand no matter what.

Carinata

Breeder of High End AFTs
Alex, I too am curious about how to switch my fatties to meal worms. All of mine are WC imports and shy feeders. I put crickets in the tub, they disappear by morning. But will my geckos, if converted be receiving the proper nutrition from Mealworms and superworms. My parents would be much more open to my obsession if I wasn't feeding such stinky food items. And mealworms keep MUCH better! Should I cut them off of crickets for a few days then offer a dish of meal worms? I would basically be forcing them to eat mealworms.

Imperial Geckos

LIVE THE LIFE ™
Unfortunately when dealing with Fat Tails, you will always have to have crickets on hand. They are picky eaters, even to the point to where the ones that eat mealworms usally wont even eat superworms. However, generally speaking, no healthy Fat Tail will refuse a cricket.

I wish I had any "tips" to give you guys. All I really do is just put a dish and 5 medium mealworms in the baby tubs after the hatchlings shed out...so far this year all the babies have caught on...

Last year i did have my juvies 1 week without food, then i offered mealworms (because they were eating crickets)... even then some wouldnt switch and i continued feeding them crickets, took them off feed again, and attempted the mealworms once again. It's a tough process even for hatchlings because sometimes they wont eat right off the bat, but you have to stay strong, but once hatchlings go 1 week refusing mealworms, I offer crickets ASAP and will not attempt to switch them to mealworms until i feel they have good size (10+ grams).

And with adults, you are better off trying superworms first. And not in a bowl, leave them loose. It is VERY DIFFICULT to get WC or Adult animals to feed on anything other than crickets. If they were waxworms, everyone would be crying that they were addicted..lol...

Good Luck :main_thumbsup:

[YT]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/y0wIWwAS8pU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/y0wIWwAS8pU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/YT]

Carinata

Breeder of High End AFTs
Haha thanks Alex! I do offer superworms loose in my geckos tubs. I use cypress so occasionally you will see them sort of digging through the mulch to find them. I am definitely going to offer mealworms to my babies this year!

Imperial Geckos

LIVE THE LIFE ™
well, i just got back from my facility and the other 2 hatchlings just ate 5 mealworms last night, i dropped a few more in the dish so they can have some more to eat tonight..and i had counted wrong...lol.. im 8/8 for starting geckos outs on mealies :main_thumbsup:

SA Leopards

Well done! I started with the mealworms, she ate one or two, but nothing definitive! Guess it is going to be a case of perseverance pays off!

Carinata

Breeder of High End AFTs
Yesterday I switched all my fat-tails into a new rack. I put in 10 mealies in a dish and 1 superworm just wondering around.

Leoslizards

I'm a little confused. Are you guys trying to replace crickets with meal worms as the main staple food item? I once tried replacing crickets with phoenix worms because I heard they were better then crickets and lets just say I wasted about $50 worth in worms.

lillith

lillith's leo lovables
I hafta say, mine like supers and roaches a lot more, but they pounce on mealies just fine. I noticed it helps if the worms are "free range" rather than in a dish.

But then, maybe I just have weird fatties.

Visit our friends