Possibly add a care sheet questionaire for people asking for help?

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
Was just curious about this. I recently joined a chameleon forum, and on their forum in their health questions area they have a questionaire that anyone asking a health related question has to fill out about basic husbandry so that everyone isn't asking 500 questions about the animals care/habitat/husbandry. I thought it was a really neat idea as it does help us to be better equipped to help those needing it... plus it actually makes the person asking for help look really hard at their husbandry skills when they have to write it all down, they could find the problem themselves just by seeing it... know what I mean?

Anywho, I'm gonna copy/paste the text as it appears on the other forum and maybe if you think this is a good idea we/you could modify it a bit to be more suited towards leos (or aft's) and we could use it?

Here's what they ask on their form:

"Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information, you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about."

Obviously we'd be able to cut it down/modify quite a bit as there are a few things we wouldn't need to ask for leos but I think it's a good starting point. None of the members old or new ever get offended when they ask a health q then are asked to go fill out the form, they all do it happily.

So there's my idea. I hope you think it may be benificial to the forum community.

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
I haven't seen that one but I do think the idea is a good one. I mean after all how many threads where people are asking for help, is the first half dozen thread responses asking about how they keep their leo. It would obviously need tweaking to suit our needs but I thought it could be very helpful.

prettyinpink

It's usually what we ask anyways when they're needing help. It's also on the beardeddragon forum, but it's just a member asking them to fill it out... which is what we're kinda doing already.

Some people get freaked out when you show them a huge list... :main_rolleyes:

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
yeah but if this were a stickey or something in the health forum then anyone asking for help should be willing to fill it out to expedite getting all the answers they need insted of us asking 1000 questions about thier habitat before we can even address the issue at hand. Obviously it wouldn't be as huge a list once it were modified to suit a gecko's needs but still it would be all the questions we would need to ask them anyway if they had an issue so why not just take care of it from the get go right?

prettyinpink

Well ... since your info sheet is on chameleons...I can type up a sheet for leos, and maybe add a few things.
I'm just going to use the sheet you have to fill out for my leo vet, and if needed add a few things.

Give me a few minutes :)

clemsonguy1125

Copied this from reptile rooms.
For the best and quickest responses to your questions, it is always a good idea to include a COMPLETE run-down of your set-up. We are not vets, and therefore if you feel this is a life or death situation, you do not have time to be posting on this site, as your gecko needs urgent medical attention. For a vet near you, visit www.herpvetconnection.com. A common question that people ask is eating problems. Some of the time, this can be rectified by a couple of husbandry adjustments, so it's always good to answer the following questions in your post.

1. What substrate are you using?
2. What sized enclosure do you have your leo in?
3. What are your warm side temperatures?
4. How are the temperatures measured?
5. What are you using as your heat source?
6. Do you have any method of regulating the temperatures?
7. How many hides do you have for your leo? What are they?
8. What food have you offered?
9. How often do you offer food?
10. Are you supplementing the food? If so, with what and how often?
11. How old is your leo?
12. How long have you had your leo?
13. Give a little detail about the behaviour of the Leo also

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
Add humidity/how often do you mist and are you using any lighting, plus I do think how often you handle your leo is imporant as it can overly stress some leos, clem and I think we're in business :)

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
Just my thoughts for a modified questionaire

About your enclosure:
1. what size is your enclosure, what type? (aquarium, home made etc)
2. what type of substrait
3. how do you heat your tank? (uth, lights, both)
4. do you use any lighting, red, blue uv or otherwise or cermaic heat emitters
5. how often do you mist, what is your himidity like
6. how many hides do you offer and where are they located.(include a moist hide if you have one)
7. what is your temperature range and how is it measured/controlled

About your leo:

1. what type/morph (aft, leopard, etc)
2. age/gender
3. when did you get your leo/how long have you had your leo
4. what do you feed? How often and how much
5. how do you feed your leo (hand feed, tongs, in a dish)
6. what do you use for suppliments? (list all calcium, D3, multi vit and brands)
7. How often do you suppliment
8. briefly describe your problem and how long it has been going on.

prettyinpink

Here you are missy!!!! :daisy: Don't know why I didn't think of this before

If you could please take a moment to fill out this small forum, it'll help us better understand the history of your leo without being there to see him/her. This will help our members be able to help you in a much easier way.
**Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your Leopard Gecko's health.**

About your leo:
- Sex
- Where was he/she obtained (ex. Pet store, breeder, wild caught, friend)

A) Health/History
- How often do you handle your leo
- Is your leo acting any different today? If so how does he/she normally act which differs from now.
- Has he/she had any problems in the past, if so please describe.
B) Fecals
- Describe (look any different than normal)
- When was the last time he/she went
C) Problem
- Please briefly descrive the problem and how long it has been going on

Housing:
A) Enclosure
- Size
- Type (ex. glass tank)
- Type of substrate
- Hides, how many, what kind
B) Heating
- Heat source
- Cage temps (hot side, cool side)
- Method of regulating heat source
- What are you using to measure your temps
- Do you have any lights (describe)
C) Cage mates
- How many (males, females)
- Describe health, or previous problems

Describe Diet:
A) Typical diet
- What you're feeding (how often, how much)
- How are you feeding (hand fed, left in dish, ect)
B) Supplements (describe how often)
- What vitamin/minerals are you using (list brands)
- What are you gut loading food with

There you are! Hope you like it :)
~*Erica*~

I just took the one my vet asks me to fill out and simplified it, and made it easier to read :) I know people like things very very simple. Let me know if I missed anything!

I'll be using this at least for myself if no one else wants to use it. Was going to type one up but never got around to it

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
That is a very complete care questionaire Erica thank you. I think that's perfect. Now all we gotta do is get Kelli on board :)

prettyinpink

Glad I got everything :)

I'm afraid most new people aren't going to read the sticky, I know TONS of places that are in big bold letters that says READ here before posting and they still don't read it :( We can just post that when they ask their question. That's what they do on other forums I'm on, or is that the same thing you were thinking.

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
Well what happens on my cham forum is that anyone that posts a health q is asked and provided with a link to the questionaire and they all go back and copy/paste it in their thread and answer all the q's with out issue. I've never seen anyone get aggravated being asked to do it esp. when it can only help them out know what I mean? Altho one of our members posting it for them to answer would be just as helpfull/useful. Saves the poster a step I guess. Honestly I get tired of asking the same thing time and time again hence the idea to incorporate this questinaire.

prettyinpink

Yea, I think we all get tired. Well if she makes it a sticky, we can post a link...like you said, if she doesn't make it a sticky I guess we'll just have to copy and paste ;) Will save a lot of time either way.

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
I think so too. Do you think Kelli would mind us doing this with out her approval? I sent her a pm about it a few days ago but haven't heard back yet.

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
Yeah. us taking it upon ourselves to add something with out her authorizing it's use on the forum since it really won't help unless the majority of members were using it. I wouldn't think she would mind either but it would be nice to get it made to a stickey tho.

Visit our friends