Ruby

Obsidian Tears

I am the Wombat!
This is Ruby. :) She is by far my favorite companion out of my collection. I don't think I've ever met a nicer, more well-mannered snake- not to mention one so intelligent.

Ruby came to me very skinny, with an awful respiratory infection. The woman was getting rid of her because she was "moody", and had apparently tried to bite her husband. While we were still corresponding by email I figured this was just typical behavior for an unsocialized blood seeing as the woman said she hadn't really been handled much. But when I met her, I saw right away that the "hissing" was Ruby struggling to breathe, and the "biting" was her trying to wipe her nose/clear something from her mouth. To this day, she has not even hissed at me. The worst part about it was she was being kept in a ten-gallon tank with a hide suitable for a snake a fraction of her size.

As of today, she is almost entirely healthy. Her infection is for the most part cleared, and she's continuing to put weight on. The only problem remaining is the upraised scales on her side from trying wedge herself under a hide she didn't fit in.

P1010962.jpg

(I should have taken the pic after we were finished soaking...her eyecaps finished coming off during the bath. oh well :) )

P1010978.jpg

GeckoTrouble

Beautiful snake!

You really have to wonder about people sometimes.
I have a foster parrot Pip who I was told had behavioral issues... turns out those were wiping his beak on the nest box (which was wood and perfect for beak cleaning), going inside the nest box and yelling at himself (he's a caique, they love to hear their own voice echoing) and finally biting the bars of the cage (I have never seen him do this). None of these are what I would call a behavioral issue at all (compared to the ones that would like to remove your finger and scream all day long!)

Obsidian Tears

I am the Wombat!
Beautiful snake!

You really have to wonder about people sometimes.
I have a foster parrot Pip who I was told had behavioral issues... turns out those were wiping his beak on the nest box (which was wood and perfect for beak cleaning), going inside the nest box and yelling at himself (he's a caique, they love to hear their own voice echoing) and finally biting the bars of the cage (I have never seen him do this). None of these are what I would call a behavioral issue at all (compared to the ones that would like to remove your finger and scream all day long!)

He sounds cute- those are beautiful birds. :)

Visit our friends