She doesn't like the taste...

Dakota_Ghost

Hey all,

Here's the situation...

My leo always used to eat her food that had been dusted with Komodo Calcium with D3 with no problems. However, recently she doesn't eat her mealworms that have been dusted. She acts just like you expect a hungry leo to act when they see food; She gets right up to the mealworm, smells it, even goes to grab it until... she realises it has been dusted and decides she'd rather be hungry. I have even offered her two mealworms (one dusted, one not) at the same time. She always goes for the non dusted. The few times she has eaten a dusted one seems accidental and the look on her face of disgust afterwards just proves she really doesn't like it. It's quite like when someone eats a sour grape.

She no longer eats crickets anymore, so dusting them isn't an option. She always has a dish of pure calcium without D3 in her tank at all times. Also, when I have dusted her food, it has been with the correct amount of calcium with D3, so I am not over dusting. I dusted her food twice a week, so it's not like she was getting too much. I've tried to sprinkle some calcium with D3 on the tip of her nose so she can lick it off. This is easier said than done and I'd rather this not be the only means I can get her to have her required supplements. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Dakota

M

Magic112

I wish I could help you out. two of my geckos wont e at the meal worms if they have been dusted!!! I have tried everything. And they don't eat anything but meal worms. They wont touch crickets...

Hopefuly someone has some advice.

S

SDahmer

Perhaps your dusting too heavily. Have you tried reducing the amount you dust with?

GeckoNub

My male doesnt seem to like the calcium with D3 on his food either, maybe cos it smells kinda "cheesy". I have that Komodo brand too.

So i cheat :p He is fine with the normal calcium so i do some normal and some D3 and mix it up a bit :) Always eats them fine then :)

G

Gonser

I know this may sound bad, but I do NOT dust my feeders. The leos prefer non-dusted feeders and they eat much better if you do not dust. I do however put a dish of vits/supps in with my feeders so they are consuming the stuff as they gutload.
I keep a dish of a mixture of Rep Cal, Herptivite, and Osteo Form SA in a dish and the leos gulp it down from the dish when they need it. They get plenty of supps/vits that way, believe me. Dusting is not necessary IMO if you do this.
Many will say this is nuts not to dust, but my leos are super healthy and they know when they need supps because I see them with their little heads in the supp dish routinely.

dunderpate

Born Again Gecko
I put a dish of calcium powder in my tank for my Leo to lap up whenever he wants. Also i gutload supers with all the good stuff, no need to dust them. He turns 9 next April.

Visit our friends