something more

latshki

Breeder in the making
I hatched this gecko in may and since she has grown little and is about 25g now, she has kept this blue tail and odd markings since she was small, is this something more, the Sire has since passed but I still have the dam

278.jpg

Imperial Geckos

LIVE THE LIFE ™
lol, i see a number 3 on the bottom brown band, it looks normal to me (except for that white coloring on the bands)..and about the weight, i bought a proven breeder at daytona last year..she was only 30 grams..and she is still only 30 grams and has already produced a very nice clutch...how many times a week do you feed her and what sized prey?

latshki

Breeder in the making
she always has mealworms i her bowl and she gets crickets twice a week
she eats like a pig but hasn't grown much at all
she'll eat crickets the size of her head

latshki

Breeder in the making
why wouldn't I? thats all I have, last time I tried smaller crickets they got out and they went into every nook and cranny
and recently I have been feeding her smaller sized supers
trust me she eats a lot
could her small size be due to genetics or incubation as her clutch mate was still born and her mother is only 42 and eats good but she is rather small in proportion wise

Last edited:

robin

i am not sure if it is something more or not. i think kelli, pat kline and others might be able to help you better.

as far as her size, she may just be a slow grower or taking after perhaps her mother or father. she looks healthy to me

sorry i could not help more

SFgeckos

Can I ask what you are feeding your feeder insects prior to feeding them to your gecko? Many people forget that it's not how often or how many insects you feed, it's the QUALITY of your feeders. If they are not properly gutloaded or contain the proper nutrients, the gecko will not benefit or grow at a normal or average rate. Make sure to gutload the insects and offer a dish of calcium/vitamins for your gecko to consume if wished.

I believe the highest "calcium" feeder gutload on the market is Mazuri's hi-calcium feeder diet which is 8-9% (most feeder gutloads have 1-2% dry). However this insect diet isn't meant to be fed long term (since insects die shortly after they consume high calcium levels) but it's a great gutload for helping geckos with MBD or females recover from egglaying etc. Information can be seen below:

https://www.mazuri.com/PDF/5M38.pdf

Good luck!

Jon

SFgeckos

Sounds like good gutloading to me! Another option would be to try doing a fecal float to test for parasites...or maybe she's just a slow grower? Her body condition looks good to me, so it might just be an anomaly.

Jon

latshki

Breeder in the making
well I've always thought that it was a messed up incubation
as all of the other eggs were lost as I was in dominican for two weeks and I had other people looking in on the incubator and such so I think someone unplugged it by accident I dont think I will ever breed her as shes more of a pet and shes a sweetheart well thanks guys
her mother is maxed out at forty grams too there was only a few times when she weighed more around ovulation so it could be genetics from her mother but who knows

Visit our friends