Strange toe blob

Dakota_Ghost

Hi all,
When I first purchased Amber two weeks ago, I noticed that on her back toe, and on one other, there appears to be a bigger nail. However, when she shed her skin the other night, it became apparent that this white blob may be skin that has got stuck right on the very tip of her toe. I watched her shed, and she was very good at removing all of the skin from around her toes with ease. I’m just worried that this might be skin, and if it would affect her in any way. I’ve just given her a bath in warm water, and used a Q-tip/ cotton bud to try and remove this white bit. However, she didn’t seem to like it, and being a young leo, she tried to find every opportunity to jump out of the tub. Anyways, bathing her and trying to remove whatever this is at the very end of her toe didn’t seem to work. Other possibilities I thought of that this could be a build up of calcium in her toe nail, making the nail bigger. As I have already mentioned, she has another toe like this on her other foot. All other toes seem to be perfectly ok. Whatever this white stuff is, it’s not swollen and it does not affect her movement. I apologise that pictures aren't that clear as they were taken from outside the tank. Any ideas people what I can do, or what it is?

Thanks,

Dakota

SNC00138.jpg

SNC00141.jpg

Bellalee

It's definatly stuck shed around her toe.. you can see in the second picture it looks like its begining to cut off circulation. I use a swim container.. with a top I put a moist/wet towel in the bottom with a top with holes on it. Leave her in there for about 10 minutes.. use to q-tips.. i use my fingers... and or tweezer very very gently. I have always been succesful at getting the shed off without any damage. But like I said I am very very gentle with this.

The toes needs to be soaked a little bit more..

Correct me if anyone thinks I'm wrong.

Khrysty

yeah, it does look like stuck shed. My newest girl, Akira, has something much smaller on the tip of her nail thta looks a lot less like stuck shed and a lot more..like something I've never seen lol.

Worse case scenario: shed cuts off circulation to her toe, she loses the toe. Idk what to tell you if you had trouble getting it off when you tried..I'd keep trying

Dakota_Ghost

Ah nooooooo! Ok, right well she already had this on her toes a few weeks ago when I bought her. I recon that each time she sheds it just gets stuck around the previous stuck shed. Ok, I'll try to get it off again. She's veryyyy active and being young she doesn't like to be held at the moment much. But she's going to have to put up with it. I'm going to put her in a humid box now with some moss. What's a swim container?

p.s. I always keep her home moist, spraying twice daily. She has a moist hide in there, but doesn't seem to use it.

Dakota_Ghost

Ok I've just put her in a humid box with a few air holes in. I've put some moss in there and wet towel. I'll keep her in there for a while, hopefully it will soften the stuck shed. I'll keep you guys updated.

Dakota

Khrysty

Ok I've just put her in a humid box with a few air holes in. I've put some moss in there and wet towel. I'll keep her in there for a while, hopefully it will soften the stuck shed. I'll keep you guys updated.

Dakota

I'd put the humid box over the heater to make a "sauna" effect. Good luck!

Dakota_Ghost

It's worked!!!!!!! She sure didn't like it though. Here's what I did... I put her in a small plastic box with a few holes in the lid with some moist moss and kitchen towel. Kept her in ther for about 15 mins. It was nice and humid. Then put her in a bowl with some warm water in, about half an inch deep. And used a q-tip/ cotton bud to gently, veryyyyy gently rub the toes that had the shed still on. Well, lets just say she hated that, she almost freaked out and was constantly trying to run away and jump out of the bowl. However, with many, many times trying I've managed to get all the dead skin off! Amber may not be happy at the moment, and she probably hates me now. But it will be better for her in the long run. Thanks guys for all your help! :D

Dakota

Khrysty

It's worked!!!!!!! She sure didn't like it though. Here's what I did... I put her in a small plastic box with a few holes in the lid with some moist moss and kitchen towel. Kept her in ther for about 15 mins. It was nice and humid. Then put her in a bowl with some warm water in, about half an inch deep. And used a q-tip/ cotton bud to gently, veryyyyy gently rub the toes that had the shed still on. Well, lets just say she hated that, she almost freaked out and was constantly trying to run away and jump out of the bowl. However, with many, many times trying I've managed to get all the dead skin off! Amber may not be happy at the moment, and she probably hates me now. But it will be better for her in the long run. Thanks guys for all your help! :D

Dakota

No problem! I'm glad to hear everything went okay.

Holly12

Yeah sometimes thier shed does not come off all that easy my 2 girls have a humid box and it works really well it will get all of thier shed off makes it easy for me lol. :)

Bellalee

Nice! Glad it worked! ... I have a moist hides in all of my tanks but still one girl just cant get the shed off her toes.. she ALWAYS has to be swam around shedding time.. which is today! Happy it worked though seriously! They hate it but it's better then the alternative.

EchoPet

Gecko Obsessed
Glad you got the stuck shed off!

p.s. I always keep her home moist, spraying twice daily. She has a moist hide in there, but doesn't seem to use it.

Careful doing this - you might make her enclosure too humid. Too much humidity all the time can cause respiratory problems. I'd stick to just misting the moist hide.

Dakota_Ghost

Glad you got the stuck shed off!

Careful doing this - you might make her enclosure too humid. Too much humidity all the time can cause respiratory problems. I'd stick to just misting the moist hide.

Ah right. The only reason why I sprayed other parts of the tank is so that she could lick of the droplets of water. I never see her drinking from her water bowl. Maybe she gets enough moisture from her food? Or maybe she drinks only at night? I have no idea, but she has been shown where it is, so she should know that the water is there. From now on I think I will take your advice, and just stick to misting the moist hide :)

Visit our friends