Stress and not eating

G

GeckoMandi

Ok I will give yall a run down of what has went on with my leo this week.

The last time I saw her eat a cricket was last saturday night, and she had I know 4-6 crickets, I also noticed she has not used the bathroom yesterday.

Sunday I cleaned her house, it was the first since I got her which has been about 3 months (I read you should only clean 4-6 months hope that's right). She got really pissed because I moved some of her house around.

Ok tuesday I gave her more crickets I serve her the big fat ones so I feed her less, I have been gutloading btw. Now she hasn't been coming out at all and I have messed with her alot due to trying to get some skin off her toes she didn't shed. I'm just wondering if I should be worried and starting thinking about taking her to a vet?

I'm afraid she might be impacted, because of the bed a beast stuff I've had her on, well I have on newspaper now, along with my baby. But I have watched her eat and she doesn't even get any into her mouth. I'm just starting to worry period.

She never really came alot before, but at night 1 or 2 times she comes out and drinks water and sniffs around the tank but she hasn't even been doing.
Can stress cause this? or should I be worried about something worse.

dragonflyreptiles

Resident PITA
How old is she? It could be that she is ovulating, females often slow down eating during ovulation.

For my tubs I clean out the poo daily and wipe that area with chlorhexidine and once a week clean the entire bin with chlorhexidine then once every 2 or 3 weeks I run the tub threw the dishwasher, for my tank I have tile and I do the same but run the tile through the dishwasher every few weeks.

And it oculd be stress, she may just be ticked that you moved all her stuff around.

You can try a drop or 2 of mineral oil, that may help her pass a stool. If she goes much longer without pooing I would consult a vet.

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
Yes, stress can cause the behavior you are describing. Sometimes when the enclosures and decor are cleaned and/or rearranged it's like getting used to a new enviroment all over again. As long as she has a good fat reserve and isn't showing signes of severe distress, don't worry just yet...

Jeanne

Abbie's Human
I would definately recoomend cleaning the enclosure more often. You could be building up bacteria that could be dangerous to your gecko, amongst other things, like worms in the stool, etc.

G

GeckoMandi

I didn't mean I only clean the poo out 4-6 months lol, I clean that daily (when she does poo) and whenever there is just anything there I check that daily. I mean the entire tank cleaning over-all. I really think it's stress she hasn't lost any weight nor does look sick at all her tail is super super fat, last night I soaked her in luke warm water and I'm going to do that again tonight.

She is 8 months old I think I'm going to try the mineral oil thing right now, heading to the store. I will keep you all updated, thanks for the help.

G

GeckoMandi

Ok went to dollar store and got some mineral oil, I have a dropper that I put it in, she is acting really weird like she isn't scared of me anymore and she let me touch and hold her and let me tell you that is WEIRD for her, is she usually all over the place.

She licked it 3 or 4 times so now I just wait and see what happens, I also gave her some water in the dropper and she drank about 3-4 licks because I know she hasn't been drinking anything either.

G

GeckoMandi

Ok my leo still isn't eating it's been over a week, I gave her 2 drops of mineral oil and she did poo once and a good bit (not runny or funny looking) it looked normal. I tried handfeeding her mealworms she wouldn't take them and I don't want to force feed her either, I was worried about stress but now I think it's something else. :(

I called 6 vets in my area Friday afternoon and NONE of them will even see a reptile or do a fecal exam for me??? WTF I dunno what to do I really can't drive over 2 hours away to take her during the week I work 8-5 office type hours now.

Grinning Geckos

Tegan onboard.
Try giving her some space, she's been through a lot of stress lately. I've had hunger strikes last a good deal longer then that (with ovulating females). Try not to bother her, hold her, etc for several days at least. Count out the mealworms in her bowl, and see if you're missing any the next day. That will let you know if/when she's eating. It's hard not to worry, but so long as she's pooing, has a good fat reserve, and is still bright eyed and active, she should be ok.

G

GeckoMandi

Well I haven't been holding her at all, I did maybe every few days before, because she doesn't like it to much. I only bother her the past couple days to check on her and to mist her humid hide. (which she never leaves) always in the warm hide since I got her.

Thanks though I just added the mealworms in a lid so we will see what happens by morning.

dragonflyreptiles

Resident PITA
At 8 months she may be ovulating and a lot of my females go off food a little during that time. If you can look at her belly see ifyou see 2 pinkish round circles about the size of an eraser head.

Arconna

Also, I know it might freak you out that she hasn't eaten in a week, but if her tail is fat you shouldn't worry too much about it. Granted, you should still worry, but she's not going to die from not eating in a week. Actually, I'm not sure what the length is for a healthy leo to go before dying of hunger. It has to be quite a time. My male went on a hunger strike earlier this year, on an off for about 3 and a half months before I finally realized he wanted crickets. Now he eats like a piggy little thing, but my normal female is now ovulating, so now she isn't eating. She'll pick up soon though.

My guess is she's either overly stressed, ovulation, or a combination of the two. Just give her some room, keep some mealies in that cage for her and see what happens.
Anywhoodles.

G

GeckoMandi

I caught her sneak eating a cricket last night, I sat and watched her for about an hour just to see if she would come out, and she didn't come out.

A cricket I dropped in their went into her hide, and well the cricket didn't come back out, it was a huge one too.

The little hoochie is sneaking and eating because the mealworms I dropped in there and the crickets I've added are now MIA and there is no way they got out of that tank, she still doesn't act the same as before all this stress, but at least she is eating and pooing again!

Arconna

She's probably super stressed out with all you've done with her lately. Sounds like giving her some space would be a good thing. Just make sure she has the proper heat, food, and leave her be. I've got a male leo that is a very reclusive, but he'll come out once in a while :p

Visit our friends