Technology!!

bubblez825

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my phone, computer, ipod, all that jazz and snazzy stuff right? They all have their positives, but they also have too many negatives.

First off, SOME PEOPLE JUST CAN'T STAY OFF THEIR PHONES!!! I mean, c'mon now, if you're spending time with someone, then you're supposed be be WITH them, not looking down at your phone every 5 seconds to reply to a text! :main_rolleyes: I don't know about you guys, but when I'm alone with someone and all their doing is texting the whole time we're together and hardly saying a word, it gets real awkward. AND its rude. Phones are a device made for communication, but with all the "texting", proper vocal and face to face interaction and communication has greatly decreased among society, especially that in young adults and teens.

Secondly, social networking sites! Facebook, Myspace(haha...who uses myspace anymore anyways :p), twitter, tumblr, you name it! Its full of drama. People think its important to post drama, start fights, "call out" a person over the INTERNET and say anything they want, just because they're behind a computer. Its all been turned into one big pool of "drama fest" and "oh my life sucks feel bad for meeeeeee"! Oh and what about th3 p30pl3 wh0 t@lk l!k3 d!s?! -.- Not to mention all the personal information given out over the internet. Have you ever heard those stories about kids going on chatting sites, meeting a stranger, talking to them and trusting them, then somehow end up getting kidnapped or even killed? People aren't careful about what they do or what they say, and put themselves in bad positions, especially kids. Don't get me wrong, I'm a teen and LOVE facebook-ing, but sites like these can be dangerous. There's many ways to protect yourself from "stranger danger" and prevent people from getting a hold of your information. The problem is, not too many people know how to use the safety features imbedded in these websites and anyone can see your information, "friend" or not...

Last, VIRUSES! Yikes, whoever invented viruses REALLY needs to go die in a hole. Seriously, go die. I think I've had viruses 3 different times so far in the past 2 years, and each time, the security programs I have don't pick them up! I've tried Norton Anti-Virus, McAfee Security,(both of which have failed me... McAfee won't even work now...)and I am now using something called "Malware Bytes" which is a scanner program that does what any security program would. It runs scans, but for some reason it has worked better than any program I've tried so far. If i run a full scan it scans every single file and folder fully and individually to pull out ANYTHING that would cause a threat to my computer. I've got rid of several different viruses this way that i didn't even know i had. But ofcourse, there's still something wrong with my computer and i can't figure it out what it is no matter how much research i do :main_rolleyes:. I have windows Vista on an HP Pavillion dv6000; If anyone knows anything about computers at all, my windows update "cant check for updates" and all my updates "fail" every time. no matter what. ARGH! go die viruses.

haha I kinda wish we could go back to the stone age.... except for air conditioning, refrigerators, stoves, etc...basically anything involving housing and food :main_laugh: and cars ofcourse.... :D

Meh... Rant over. 2;09am, Arizona time. My sleeping schedule is already screwed, and its only the 3rd week of summer :main_rolleyes::main_laugh:

~Emily

nater

Last, VIRUSES! Yikes, whoever invented viruses REALLY needs to go die in a hole. Seriously, go die. I think I've had viruses 3 different times so far in the past 2 years, and each time, the security programs I have don't pick them up! I've tried Norton Anti-Virus, McAfee Security,(both of which have failed me... McAfee won't even work now...)and I am now using something called "Malware Bytes" which is a scanner program that does what any security program would. It runs scans, but for some reason it has worked better than any program I've tried so far. If i run a full scan it scans every single file and folder fully and individually to pull out ANYTHING that would cause a threat to my computer. I've got rid of several different viruses this way that i didn't even know i had.
I've used that. I wouldn't consider it a replacement to a virus scanner though. I've had good luck with avast!, though it may have changed since I last used it.

But ofcourse, there's still something wrong with my computer and i can't figure it out what it is no matter how much research i do :main_rolleyes:. I have windows Vista on an HP Pavillion dv6000; If anyone knows anything about computers at all, my windows update "cant check for updates" and all my updates "fail" every time. no matter what. ARGH! go die viruses.
In your internet settings add microsoft to your trusted sites for both http and https.

Now if you'll permit me to be a jerk... just install linux.

And yeah, people are obnoxious with their phones. I guess we all need something to make us feel important. I guess short of any sort of accomplishment or investment in yourself, pretending that you're so in demand that you must carry a cell phone and must answer it at all times is an easy substitute.

Last edited:

Kristi23

Ghoulish Geckos
My daughter is a teen and she and all her friends are always on their phones/ipod touches. They'll sit next to each other and not even talk. It drives me crazy. I have to take her phone and ipod from her every night or she'll stay up until 2am talking to people.:main_rolleyes:

I hardly ever go on facebook anymore.

I love technology to an extent, but I think kids are growing up too dependent on it. Some adults, too.

bubblez825

My point exactly kristi xD wayy too dependent and reliant on technology.

Nater: is avast! free? is it a scanner like norton and mcafee?? Also, what exactly is linux?

nater

bubblez825 said:
Nater: is avast! free? is it a scanner like norton and mcafee?? Also, what exactly is linux?
It used to be, I"m not sure if it still is. It used to just require your e-mail address to send you a free registration key.

Linux is an operating system. Largely free of the sort of nasties that windows picks up, but also largely free of native games and a lot of mainstream commercial applications. I'm not going to lie, depending on the distribution it can have a steep learning curve. My suggestion was kind of tongue in cheek... if you haven't heard of it before its probably not a good idea to pursue it unless you have an old computer you're not using that you could put it on to see if you like it.

ElapidSVT

lolwut?
i use microsoft security essentials. it's a free download and has real-time antivirus protection so it catches stuff *before* it has a chance to mess with your system. if you're a gamer or not into updating your operating system every time a new flavor of linux is released, i'd avoid it. what is the current flavor Ungrateful Unicorn? Variable Vegamite? Willful Walrus? i really have no idea. :p

to change your automatic updates, you may have to run the program as an administrator. a quickie google search should get you specific instructions how to solve the issue.

good luck!
rob

nater

if you're a gamer or not into updating your operating system every time a new flavor of linux is released, i'd avoid it. what is the current flavor Ungrateful Unicorn? Variable Vegamite? Willful Walrus? i really have no idea. :p
I myself use slackware. Your hyperbole about updating doesn't really apply with slackware. Its made to be rock solid, but doesn't hold your hand... its expected that you know how to configure everything yourself. Once its configured though, its really worry-free.

No, I'm not recommending linux in this thread, just setting the record straight.

Visit our friends