The BIG switch!

Carinata

Breeder of High End AFTs
I have decided after dealing with gross crickets for much to long I will be switching to a cricket free operation. I used to only have a handful of mealies on hand and a few animals took some but not as staple. That means getting everyone on mealworms! So I bought a couple thousand mealworms and I am switching everyone. Why am I posting this? Because I see a lot of people asking how do do it so I'm going to track how I do it so people can follow and reference this thread as advice. First I took 5 geckos and placed mealworm dishes with around 20 mealworms in. So far 1 out of the 5 has eaten the mealworms. He got a blue sticker and a new gecko was given a bowl of meal worms. I will be skipping 2 feed days coming up on the 5 with the dishes to see if I get any results!

Last edited:

fuzzylogix

Carpe Diem
good luck! it took about 6 months of working with my fatties to get them all off crix. i spaced out the feedings more and would offer roaches and worms more, and crickets less and less.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Do you think that if you give a gold star rather than a blue sticker the geckos will switch quicker?

Aliza

Carinata

Breeder of High End AFTs
LOL! Most of the babies have converted over to the mealies very well and all have blue stickers (I'll buy golden stars later! LOL) I also had success converting 2 WC animals over buy feeding only 1 or 2 crickets and then presenting the mealworm dish while the animal is still feeding and they both slammed the mealworms instantly! Success!

Visit our friends