The guy at pet store said I have ammonia water, but I check. I do not.

geckoqueen

How can my fish tank have ammonia, when I use fresh pure water from the store? I also have a filter. I used conditioner. I never placed a fish in this tank. (I'm still waiting to buy my betta fish). I was going to get a fish today but the guy at the pet store said the water had high ammonia in it. I don't get it, so when I came home, before I used prime.. I tested with ammonia strips I bought. The tank has no ammonia in it. I wipe new tank out with damp clean cloth. No soap. The woman I talked with said; she seen the same thing, when the man tested the water at the pet store.

I placed strip in the water just like the instructions told me to do for 5 seconds, then I lifted the strip face up. I did not shake it. I waited a minute and checked the colors on back of the bottle. I have no ammonia water.

They guy I talked to at pet co said that's not possiable. Since there has never been a fish in that tank.
I'm very confused here people.

I used one of them plastic bags, never used before, to get the water sample! I feel dazed and confused!

I wonder if this pet store was trying to sell me extra products and I could have bought a fish today. My tank water is fine. He also checked for ph levels. The only thing he said was wrong, was the high ammonia levels, which the test strip shows none. So anyway, I still used the Prime..

I should have very clean water by now. I used 2 different conditioners, Ammonia treater. I have fresh pure water from the store, with a tank filter. If that pet store guy tells me I have ammonia water now
I would slap him.

My water temp stays at 84..The lady at the pet store said I could still get a betta fish, but that is a little warm. I have all the fans going and windows open. I don't have AC. She said it would be fine as long as the tank does not go above 84 degrees, she said I could add cold water to cool it down. I hope she knows what she is talking about, after all they didn't test my fish water correctly.

She also said because I have a filter and I have a 5 gallon tank, that with one fish, it is ok to change the water every few months. All I have to do is change the filter ever 3 to 4 weeks. Is that correct, sounds weird to me and I never owned a fish.

I was going to buy gravel, which I bought today, it's red. I bought a soft fake plant, which I was going to buy today, along with my fish. I have the plant. I also bought Prime for my water, which I was going to get later. I have the ammonia strips, which I didn't plan on buying, which now I have. I have a temp on the side to see the water temps. My water is very clean. Well, it must be fate because now my tank is really set to go! I also have a light, if I need to use it, to heat the tank in the winter..This is all for my betta fish. I'm only buying one male betta. I do have a filter it came with the tank.

All I need now is the fish, a fish net and a hose to suck out the water!

Last edited:

Kitsune

New tanks go through a Nitrogen cycle which will spike the ammonia for a bit.. Even with no fish in the tank.

If you've tested and you see no ammonia, it's possible that the test strips used at the pet store were "faulty." They may have gotten wet with other water which will cause them to be useless and give an inaccurate reading. I work at a big chain pet store and I've had it happen to our test strips many times when other associates weren't being careful not to let them get wet.

geckoqueen

New tanks go through a Nitrogen cycle which will spike the ammonia for a bit.. Even with no fish in the tank.

If you've tested and you see no ammonia, it's possible that the test strips used at the pet store were "faulty." They may have gotten wet with other water which will cause them to be useless and give an inaccurate reading. I work at a big chain pet store and I've had it happen to our test strips many times when other associates weren't being careful not to let them get wet.

I called 2 other fish stores, then I called a few other pet stores. I called both, pet and fish stores. They all told me my tank set up is just fine right now, to add a betta fish. The betta will cycle the tank, first off, and it's just fine, it won't hurt the fish. I need a hardy fish to cycle the tank, betta is that kind of fish. Many pet and fish places told me this. Also 84 is just right temp for a betta, though I got a few different replies on that one.

I posted this on another fish message board and people are telling me different things, like not to get this fish, as my tank is not cycled. Yet, when I talk to pet store, or fish store they all say my tank is fine, to add a fish.

I told these people about my tank set up. I said.. I only had the tank since yesterday. I have a filter, pure water. I have added conditioner and ammonia removers. I told them about the gravel I bought at the pet store..All of them said it's just fine.

The guy told me the only way to cycle a tank is to get a fish in the tank, a hardy one. Like a betta and he named a few other fish to me. He said you don't want to stick a guppy in there. I guess they are not strong fish, while the tank is cycling. This guy was from a fish store.

Now I get people telling me to do water changes to cycle the tank, or to add shrimp, or fish food. They said putting a betta fish in now would kill it, but it's not what 5 people different people told me from pet and fish stores. I'm confused.

Pokersnake

Know what? Bettas are healthy little devils. The only disease they really get is ick and that's rare for them even. Your temp will be fine; They live in rice pattys and shallow ponds in the wild where temperatures are not in any control.

Your water should be fine. The ammonia is probably being read as a false positive. If you are really concerned, buy a live aquatic plant. It will use that ammonia for its own benefit. And it will put oxygen into the water and deter algae growth.

It sounds like you really did your research, and I applaud you. Go get that fish! :-D

M_surinamensis

Shillelagh Law
The only disease they really get is ick

Wrong.

Your temp will be fine;

Wrong.

Your water should be fine.

Wrong.

The ammonia is probably being read as a false positive.

Possible but doubtful.

It will use that ammonia for its own benefit.

Wrong.

And it will put oxygen into the water

Only during the day. Don't they teach the tricarboxylic acid cycle in junior high biology anymore?

It sounds like you really did your research

It doesn't sound like that at all. It sounds like the exact opposite of that. It sounds like she has no clue what she is doing and, through impatience, will probably kill a couple fish, get frustrated and quit. All without ever opening a book.

Go get that fish! :-D

Book. Go get that book. Library cards are cheaper than live fish.

gerrmanman

ok first off no offense to any good people out there that work at pet co....but i would never recommend listening to someone who works there unless you can somehow prove they are an expert. (which at corporate pets store is very rare). most are just high school/ collage kids that think "animals are cool"

any-who with that outa the way. 84 is way to high although tolerable the higher the temp the faster the fishes metabolism runs thus needing more food which can make more pollution and a forced fast metabolism can lead to a shorter life span. i have been in the fish hobby for over 12 years(8 spent in retail) and i find that 76- 79 is far better temperature for most tropicals.
now as for the ammonia as stated above tanks need to cycle. i have always cycled a tank doing 2 things add beneficial bacteria (there are many products out there) i recommend nitro-max, avoid stress/nitro zyme its a joke. then follow that with adding some plain fish flake to the empty aquarium and let the bacteria go through the natural cycle. then when there is zero ammonia and nitrite and little to no nitrate, follow this with a water change. You can then add your starter fish. then keep a good eye on levels and be ready to do water changes when appropriate. furthermore unless you pay high bucks for test strips liquid tests will provide the most accurate results so stick to that.
in regards to water changes and filter it varies. ull have to check the water conditions until you get an idea of the flow of things and from the beginning you will have to do more frequent water changes until the tank establishes its self (this can take 6months to a year). as things even out if the tank is lightly stoked monthly PARTIAL water changes should be fine. as for the filter change outs... depends on make and type of filter media. monthly is pretty typical though.
also the light, im guessing is just a standard florescent, will not provide heat for the tank. water requires a decent amount of energy to heat up, thus a simple light wont provide that. that area should be covered by a aquarium heater...this all depends on how hot/cold your house will be during the seasons as well as where you place the aquarium.
on a side note bettas are solitary fish that do not like tank companions or the flow needed to keep those other tropical fish healthy and happy. just food for though(shouldn't be a problem since you only want the one fish). in the hindsight good luck and may you enjoy the world of fish keeping!:)

Last edited:

katie_

Wonder Reptiles
Test STRIPS are light sensitive. I tend not to use them because of this. They tend to be less accurate than test "drops".

I doubt the man at the petstore lied to you. If your water was safe for a wish, I'm sure he would have glady sold you one.

stager

Using a filter pad or some gravel from an aged tank I belive will help establish you nitrogen cycle, it does with salt water. But as surname said by a book, I actually bought the for dumbies book before a started my salt water.

M_surinamensis

Shillelagh Law
The original poster hasn't been logged in on this site in over eight months, and this thread is almost a year and a half old. Katie just wandered through the aquarium subforum yesterday committing acts of necromancy.

katie_

Wonder Reptiles
I'm new, give me a freakin' break.
I dont even know how to tell when someones logged in last.
This thread was third down from the top, I assumed that meant it was somewhat new.

katie_

Wonder Reptiles
And just because this thread is old, and the original poster never logs on...
people can still learn from it and new posts.

Dimidiata

This whole thread as been a fail x10 uneducation for all. Ive seen 3 posters put intelligence here. THANKGOD its old or id have a ton more to grind on.

Visit our friends