Too young to be pregnant.. the gecko lifetime movie

Cayla & Adam

Last summer me and my bf went to a reptile expo and we bought a guestimated 3-4 month beautiful tremper albino leo named Cali. We housed her with our 6-7 month old other leo Neely until then end of november. We could finally tell Neely was a male so we separated them. Well, 2 weeks ago today we had to put our beloved Neely to sleep which absolutely broke me and my bfs heart. The day after that Cali stopped eating. In the last 2 weeks she has eaten one meal worm, and only pooped once which was during a warm soak. We brought her to a herp vet today and the vet said she was very pregnant and going to lay within 2 weeks. What I want to know is, could this be our late Neely's baby? They havent been housed together in 2 months. So aug-nov they were together and dec-now she has been alone. She is about 10 months now, isnt this too young to be pregnant? The oldest Neely could have been was a year as well. Will she lay duds? I am praying that we can incubate and have a fertile egg(s). This seems like a lifetime movie its crazy.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Khrysty

Nope, geckos reach sexual maturity at about nine months. As long as she's over 50g you should have no problems at all. It's possible that these are Neely's eggs, especially if Cali has never been with another male. Since this is her first season she may lay duds first, but remember that geckos retain sperm. If she continues to produce eggs it is very possible that she'll lay at least one fertile clutch.

Cayla & Adam

Thankkyouuu!! Im crossing my fingers! Neely was our baby I would love it if we had new hatchlings to remember him by. Im just wondering if it has been too long since they were together, but you did say they retain sperm. Wouldn't she have been pregnant sooner? Its been 10-12 weeks since they have been together, but she is almost due the doctor said.

Shera

It's also possible these are just unfertilized eggs. Mine has never met a male gecko but she layed one egg yesterday and is working on the other. She looked really fat, but when I looked at her tummy I didn't think it looked like she was gravid, she had pink areas on either side, but they weren't obvious white eggs like I have seen in pics on this forum. I don't know if they can be Neely's or not (I'm really no expert on the subject), but I hope that they are, it would be wonderful to get some babies to remember him by.

Visit our friends