Update: we caught him ❤️Gecko missing three weeks has been found but can’t reach him

nolamomma21

My 8 year old son has a leopard gecko who disappeared three weeks ago. We have taken apart furniture, appliances, set up worn and water spots throughout the house, etc. A few hours ago after three weeks (a long, tear-filled three weeks!), I saw him run across my son’s bathroom floor. I can’t believe I couldn’t catch him. Ugh!!! But he’s under a built in bookshelf. There’s a tiny hole I see his tail poking out of. My son is beyond excited to see the tail! He’s so thrilled. We have doors closed, favorite hides, heat light, water, crickets, worms all set up by the bookshelf. Now what? My hope is he comes out to eat and decides to sleep under his hide instead of back behind the shelf. Any tips to get him?

Attachments

• 36F520AD-58DB-4820-ACBB-0293D5D22346.jpeg
    36F520AD-58DB-4820-ACBB-0293D5D22346.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
You're doing the right thing. Just keep checking with a flashlight at night and hope to catch him in the hide. Be prepared that if and when you grab him, he may get scared and bite. If you keep a small towel nearby, you can use that and minimize trauma for both of you. Do what you can to keep him in the bathroom by keeping the door closed and putting something at the bottom of the door.

Aliza

nolamomma21

You’re right about that! My son went to grab him when he cMe out later and he was like “wow he got mad!” So he’s in his case now, so happy!

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Glad you got him back! I found an escaped gecko that had gotten away as a hatchling and was missing for 2 years!

Aliza

Heloguy

My 8 year old son has a leopard gecko who disappeared three weeks ago. We have taken apart furniture, appliances, set up worn and water spots throughout the house, etc. A few hours ago after three weeks (a long, tear-filled three weeks!), I saw him run across my son’s bathroom floor. I can’t believe I couldn’t catch him. Ugh!!! But he’s under a built in bookshelf. There’s a tiny hole I see his tail poking out of. My son is beyond excited to see the tail! He’s so thrilled. We have doors closed, favorite hides, heat light, water, crickets, worms all set up by the bookshelf. Now what? My hope is he comes out to eat and decides to sleep under his hide instead of back behind the shelf. Any tips to get him?

I'm glad you got him back. For others that might face this problem: I accidentally left my Leo out one night and we narrowed our search to the kitchen and living room where I had last handled her. We believed her to be hiding under the stove or refrigerator. Both appliances can be rolled or scooted from the wall but we were afraid she might get crushed if we did that. What we did was place her cricket keeper on the floor and illuminated it with a UV light. We turned off all other lighting and waited for her to show herself. About an hour and a half I heard a "thunk, thunk thunk" from the kitchen. She was striking at the cricket box trying to get one. When she saw me, she scooted towards the refrigerator and I cut her off. She's back home in her terrarium. I hope this method will work as well for you.

Visit our friends