What are you going to do with your pet when you leave for college?

clemsonguy1125

There seems to be a large amount of teenagers on the forum and I am wondering about what you plan to do when you leave? Very few colleges allow reptile on campus. In not to long I am going to be in this situation and am trying to figure out what I am going to do.
Thanks

Bbugs

Animal Addict
I have told my parents I will pay for the food if they feed my gecko. They are cool with it. My grandparents also offered to take her in. Check around your family.

fl_orchidslave

As much as you love them, IMO they should be re-homed, adopted out, or sold. Not to be harsh in any way, so please don't misunderstand. Family members often have the best of intentions, but due to lack of understanding, the beloved gecko suffers. Imagine how you might feel, you call home to check on it, you're told it hasn't eaten in a week or two. You're far away and can't to a darned thing but get upset and worry. Or suddenly, the family member can no longer care for your gecko, for whatever reasons. What do you do? Or it has escaped. A lot of negative things can happen. There's nothing wrong with letting your animal(s) move on to a new home. Just something to think about.... I hope I haven't offended anyone.

clemsonguy1125

You haven't, thanks for the opinions, I have Thought about rehoming it to family near my university but it's a lot to ask, I'm trying I keep somewhat small lizards. I can get special permits for some animals but I'm not sure about the difficulty of getting one

Bbugs

Animal Addict
As much as you love them, IMO they should be re-homed, adopted out, or sold. Not to be harsh in any way, so please don't misunderstand. Family members often have the best of intentions, but due to lack of understanding, the beloved gecko suffers. Imagine how you might feel, you call home to check on it, you're told it hasn't eaten in a week or two. You're far away and can't to a darned thing but get upset and worry. Or suddenly, the family member can no longer care for your gecko, for whatever reasons. What do you do? Or it has escaped. A lot of negative things can happen. There's nothing wrong with letting your animal(s) move on to a new home. Just something to think about.... I hope I haven't offended anyone.

In some cases this would be correct, but my family actually love reptiles :)

Bbugs

Animal Addict
Haha yeah. Even if my parents changed their mind or something, my grandparents are very outdoorsy and love animals

Visit our friends