What insulates a reptile better in a shipping box?

What type of insulation do you think is the best for shipping a reptile?

• Newspaper

Votes: 8 66.7%
  • Packing Peanuts

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Cotton(balls?)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

StatikStepz

www.ThePerfectGecko.com
What do you think holds temperature the best?

Some people pack their deli cups in newspaper, others in packing peanuts, and i have heard of people using cotton balls (never actually received a shipment this way before tho)... and i got to thinking about it and my curiositygot me to see what others thought.

RampantReptiles

I dont think the packing material really does much insulating... I thought it was more for just keeping the animal secure.

I say newspaper is best. Its more eco-friendly and using it for shipping is a form of RRR(Reduce Reuse Recycle).

Mel&Keith

Mod Squad Member
The styrofoam lining on the box walls is what keeps them insulated. Whatever you stuff inside is to keep them from moving around and act as a cushion.

StatikStepz

www.ThePerfectGecko.com
Yeah unless you mean like insulate them from the heat pack? idk the original question confused me.

Well i know that the styrofoam lining inside the box insulates them, and that what you put inside the box keeps the cup from moving around, but i would assume that it also does something to insulate it too...?? I would think that the packing peanuts or newspaper all tight inside there would also help for insulation purposes, and hold the heat alot better when the heat pack passes its initial max heat after a few hours, and when it starts to slowly die down. I just think that a heat pack inside a box that was empty would not hold the heat as much for as long as a box filled with packing peanuts or newspaper would, being as there are more places for the heat to go, than just a big open space. So therefore, i'm wondering which people think would be best...?

T-ReXx

Uroplatus Fanatic
In my experience, Packing peanuts provide the best additional insulation. As long as things are tight, the styrofoam's odd shaped and multiple air pockets has a better insulation average than newspaper. I haven't actually heard anything about cotton so I don't know how that would work out.

Visit our friends