What type of amel. fat tail is this?

Leoslizards

Hi guys, I have a male albino fat tail gecko I bought many years ago ('03 or '04) for $300.00 at Snakes at Sunset in Miami, FL and I was wondering what morph he is. Regular albino or caramel albino? How can you tell the difference? I saw the caramel albinos on the Breeders Circle site and it made me wonder what he is. I want to breed him and I heard you can't mix the regs with caramels, is this true?

Here's some old pics of him the same week I bought him. I'll have to take some current pics.

DSC01364.JPG

DSC00725a.jpg

DSC00728.JPG

Imperial Geckos

LIVE THE LIFE ™
Its just a regular Amel (tangerine, peach phase, whatever you want to call it). Caramel Albinos were not proven genetic until 2007. Caramel Albinos are a different strain. You can usually tell them apart by the eyes, they will have like greenish type eyes and you can see the pupil, hard to explain, easier to show. Caramel Albinos keep their color, and they don't fade like Amels. Also, they are usually Darker and have nice Caramel/Tan colors..As the name implies..instead on the Tangerine and White/Lavenders of the Amels.

Hopes this helps!! :main_thumbsup:

Last edited:

Leoslizards

Thanks for the help guys, really appreciate it.

I've noticed that he has definitely faded a bit and his pupils look red like snake eyes. Like the leusistic ball python pictured below.

I was wondering which type of normal albino is more desired or sought after by buyers, tangerines with dark bands like mine or the ones with lighter, whitish bands? I would like to breed him soon before he gets to old and get the most money possible from his offspring to recuperate some of the expenses from keeping reptiles all these past years. Any suggestions on other morphs to mix him with?

LucyEye208861.jpg

Last edited:

Visit our friends