2" Slate Tiles

klspets

Hello, I am setting up a leopard gecko tank in preparation for getting one at the end of the week. After reading countless forum threads about what substrate to use, I determined that slate tiles are pretty much the best way to go. So today I went out and bought three 12" x 12" sheets of 2" tiles to use in my 20 gallon long tank. But now that some of the tiles are laid in there, I'm worried about the spacing between them- does it pose a risk to the gecko, since it's possible he (or she ;)) could get his/her toes down in there? Here are some pictures of the tiles:
a0f3a067df99e86668b8106629e07179.jpg
ab90ad0d86a350a1a9cf73fce487942c.jpg
eaee3e625e5283f04eee671458084e1a.jpg

I have been browsing the forum and came across this thread where another user posted pictures of their tank and they're using the same exact tiles as I am, and nobody made any negative comments about them. So I'm thinking hopefully they're fine?
Thanks in advance! :)

EDIT: One thing I forgot to mention, are the metallic-looking tiles safe for them? That might be a silly question, but it's something I have worried about!

warhawk

The cracks do look large enough to catch toes but no faster then geckos move you shouldn't have to worry to much. My biggest concern would be poop dropping between the tiles and making a mess. Just means you will have to clean them a little more often.

The metallic tiles should be fine you might see the gecko licking them some times but unless they are really eating the tile I wouldn't worry.

Looks nice make sure you share a photo when your all done.

klspets

2" Slate Tiles

Thanks for the reply! I will probably keep a layer of paper towels in there until the gecko decides where it would like its bathroom to be, and then just keep a paper towel in that spot. And the rest of the supplies will arrive later today, so I might post a picture of the finished product later! :) Thanks again!

Visit our friends