3.5 y/o Female Leo hasn't eaten crickets in over a year...

RUBYsoho

Hey, guys!

So, I've posted about this in the past, but it's been a while, so I'm wondering if it's okay that my female leo hasn't had any crickets in over a year...

The last time she's had crickets was around July of 2013. She stopped eating them around the time I left for a week-long vacation. I had a friend stop by to feed her twice while I was gone, but when I returned, none of the crickets or mealworms had been eaten. In the weeks after, I still offered crickets, but they went unnoticed. She has been on a diet of mealworms & the occasional wax worms ever since. Is this okay? I have tried a few months ago to offer crickets again, but she still just ignores them. Is it okay that the crickets are no longer a part of her diet, or should I continue to offer them until she gives in? (NOTE: I leave a bottle cap full of Repashy in her tank at all times, so extra supplementation is not an issue.) She's always been a picky eater, but this is the longest she's gone without crickets.

Thanks in advance, everyone! :main_thumbsup:

DrCarrotTail

Do you have a picture? If she's pretty fat she might just might be too lazy to catch them and is willing to go with the easier food since she's not that hungry anyhow. Personally I don't feed crickets. I hate their smell and noise. I feed mealworms, superworms and dubia.

RUBYsoho

These were both taken within the last week, so they're very recent. I don't think she's fat, but she def seems lazy.. lol

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1418173069706.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1418173069706.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 17
  • uploadfromtaptalk1418173085178.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1418173085178.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 14

RUBYsoho

Crickets don't bother me, but they pique too much curiosity in my cats, so I def did enjoy my time without them this past year lol I can't tell you how many times the cats have knocked the cricket containers over while I was at work - I'd come home to an empty container & crickets popping out of every corner in the days & weeks after... such a nightmare.

RUBYsoho

I took this one just now, so it's as recent as they come! Lol

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1418177967435.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1418177967435.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 15

Music City Geckos

Lol, she is deffinitely not starving. Maybe she just doesn't like crickets. I don't blame her, they stink and are noisy. I wouldn't worry about her not liking them. It sounds like you are doing a great job taking care of her.

DrCarrotTail

Yup she looks a bit on the chunky side to me. I would reduce her feeding to once every 7-10 days and after a month or two of that I bet she will chase down a cricket. Keep an eye on her weight while you have her on any diet to make sure she's not losing or gaining weight too fast. I'd say she could lose at least 5g safely, possibly more :)

RUBYsoho

I've been told that she's a bit chubby (it might have even been by you! Lol), but as soon as she loses the weight, I get nervous, so I feed her.. As of now, her feeding schedule is twice a week... usually anywhere between 8-12 mealworms at a time, depending on how much she eats within about 10-20 minutes. So, you're saying reduce it to once a week or less? Would that amount of meanworms still be acceptable? She just seems so ravenous every time I feed her lol I just assume she's really hungry. I'm a sucker for her hungry face.. I gotta stop letting her control me haha

Visit our friends