3foot viv too big?

elliotuk

i used to have a 45x45x45cm exo terra viv, but one day i thought im gonna treat my leo and get him a nice big gecko penthouse! i went and got the Viv-Exotic 36 inch like the one shown below.

VX36%20Winchester%20Oak.jpg

the problem is i have almost never seen my gecko come out of his hide, he sits inside his hide day and night and wont venture out, at first i thought maybe it will take time but its probably been 2 months now since the upgrade and he rarely comes out if ever.

He's always been a bit shy but is this normal for a gecko? im wondering if a 3ft viv is just too big for a leo and too scary for him, anyone else here use a viv that big for one leo?

in case anyone asks if its the temps; they are 30-31c during the day and 26-27 at night so i dont think thats the prob.

thanks for any advice

BrightReptiles

Badhabits727
In the wild, they are not confined to a 10 gallon tank their whole life. So I don't see it being too big. Make sure he knows where to find his food and water and hell be fine. Some Leos are just recluses.

LZRDGRL

I also have 36x18x18 and 48x18x18 cages. I see my geckos in there all the time, especially by night. You could glue a HabiScape rock wall on the whole background wall; then, your gecko will be seen lying on top of it.

Do you just have one gecko?? If it is a female, you could get a few more. They can live together in small harems, and you'd see at least a couple of them all the time. Since this is a big enclosure, they wouldn't become aggressive towards each other if everyone has her own hide, and there are enough feeding stations.

You have a huge, beautiful tank. Too nice for just ONE leo :main_yes: :D

Chrissy

verogold

Nice enclosure! I am sure he wonders around enjoying every inch of his lovely home while you are sleeping:)

elliotuk

What I found helps is really coating it with objects. They like to hide under things so you could even make a low shelf over the floor.

ye ive got a few things in there and have put a shelf in too (see below) :)

I also have 36x18x18 and 48x18x18 cages. I see my geckos in there all the time, especially by night. You could glue a HabiScape rock wall on the whole background wall; then, your gecko will be seen lying on top of it.

Do you just have one gecko?? If it is a female, you could get a few more. They can live together in small harems, and you'd see at least a couple of them all the time. Since this is a big enclosure, they wouldn't become aggressive towards each other if everyone has her own hide, and there are enough feeding stations.

You have a huge, beautiful tank. Too nice for just ONE leo :main_yes: :D

Chrissy

unfortunately hes a male otherwise i would have got another female in there by now :/

Nice enclosure! I am sure he wonders around enjoying every inch of his lovely home while you are sleeping:)

that one isnt my own thats just off google images, i have taken some pics of my own now see below :p

Last edited:

NatalieS

That's a beautiful vivarium! I know what you mean about leos being recluses though. As friendly as my leo is, you won't ever see him until it's dark.

verogold

So his highest temp is 30C? He should have a large gradient of temperatures ranging from 24-35C. If he is not warm enough he will not be active at all. As personal prefrence I also provide a range from 24-32C at night.

Last edited:

elliotuk

So his highest temp is 30C? He should have a large gradient of temperatures ranging from 24-35C. If he is not warm enough he will not be active at all. As personal prefrence I also provide a range from 24-32C at night.

the left side of the tank is the warm side and is about 31c in the day and about 26 at night this is controlled by a pulse proportional night/day habistat which is controlled by a night/day sensor switch, the right side is the cool side and probably around 22-25 most of the time.

you think i should increase the temps on the warm side even more? i thought it shouldnt really go higher than 32ish? or should i just not bother with the night time temps and keep it constant on the warm side?

verogold

the left side of the tank is the warm side and is about 31c in the day and about 26 at night this is controlled by a pulse proportional night/day habistat which is controlled by a night/day sensor switch, the right side is the cool side and probably around 22-25 most of the time.

you think i should increase the temps on the warm side even more? i thought it shouldnt really go higher than 32ish? or should i just not bother with the night time temps and keep it constant on the warm side?

He needs belly heat of about 33-35c in order to digest well. Ambient air temps should not go over 31c. As long as he has the cool side at all times, I don't see a problem with keeping the warm side temps steady at night. Just be careful to check the temps under the hides carefully, it can trap heat and in some cases they will refuse to spend time in there.

(rarely comes out if ever) He is not overweight is he? If he is too cold his digestion will be slow and he will be sluggish.
When geckos are not kept warm enough they will usually have a normal size tail but their stomache will look bloated showing an appearance of being overweight. In reality the problem is their digestion is moving too slow due to inappropriate temps.

If they are overweight due to being overfed they will have both a huge tail and fat stomache.

Last edited:

elliotuk

He needs belly heat of about 33-35c in order to digest well. Ambient air temps should not go over 31c. As long as he has the cool side at all times, I don't see a problem with keeping the warm side temps steady at night. Just be careful to check the temps under the hides carefully, it can trap heat and in some cases they will refuse to spend time in there.

ok thats higher than i thought,well the thermometer probe is inside the hide that you can see on the left of the viv, and its reading the temp in there on the floor of the hide, so what temp should i set that to? ive noticed the ambient temp on the warm side is only 22-25 now so perhaps i should increase the floor temp?

verogold

ok thats higher than i thought,well the thermometer probe is inside the hide that you can see on the left of the viv, and its reading the temp in there on the floor of the hide, so what temp should i set that to? ive noticed the ambient temp on the warm side is only 22-25 now so perhaps i should increase the floor temp?

Set the floor temp to 33-35c which is most important for digestion. The air temp should range from cold side 24c- 30c on the warm side.

Visit our friends